Chapter 1

The night began slowly as I sat writing in the diner. Groups of men and women sat down, ate, and left with not even a second glance at me. I was thankful for that. I really enjoyed being invisible. Nights at the diner were much more pleasant than the other places in this small town. I finished school a few months ago and began writing in the hopes of becoming a professional one day.

"Autumn, wake up." My best friend smiled at me as she walked past me. I hadn't realized I had drifted off at the counter until she prodded me with a fork. I groaned looking at my laptop seeing the scattering of letters across the page. Deleting it all, the words began to flow from my fingers once more. Each one placed there, not as perfect as I would have liked.

After the usual rush time ended, not many people walked into the small diner in the town. I spent most of my time forcing myself to write and chatted to Ruby. She was my friend and was kind but shrill. Ruby was naturally attractive with red hair and green eyes and a slim tall figure. She never minded that I spent most of my time writing. She knew what was going on in my head better than anyone, apart from my mum.

"So, how close are you now?" She spoke, sipping on her coffee as she stood behind the counter. I sat on the other side filling up salt and pepper shakers as I came to a writer's block.

"Not close at all. Every time I feel like I'm getting somewhere, I get writer's block or start all over again. It feels like I will never finish anything."

"Well, I believe in you." I smiled at the sentiment - the same thing she would tell me every night.

She walked away when another customer came in and I turned to look out the window towards my car. I had a Ford fiesta in black. In the back sat Nightingale, a black wolf-dog I have always had. She never seemed to leave my side so stayed in the back until I was done with whatever I was doing. She was incredibly intelligent and loyal.

Ruby's giggle drew me from the window, and I knew at least one of them was hot. I rolled my eyes and lifted my head to the table, still curious even if it didn't matter to me. Two couples were sitting together. Both guys had their arms wrapped around their girls' shoulders. The girls giggled and I could tell it was a popularity move if I ever saw one. I recognized one of the men as my cousin, Greyson. It wasn't surprising to me that he didn't recognize me as we hardly ever saw each other unless at family events. I hadn't been to one of those since I was 14, so only 5 years.

Ruby walked back over to me, "Jealous?" she whispered.

I glared at her not bothering to reply. Ruby loved love and spent most of her days flirting with every attractive guy that came in here, including the owner which was how she became a supervisor. The story made me laugh every time.

The last hour before closing passed slowly and soon it was time to shut. The group left a tip, and one guy left their number. Ruby flicked the receipt in my face to show her prized possession.

"Yep, we get it. You're a homewrecker." I muttered to her, grabbing my coat. Unless it was the middle of summer, at night it was cold. It never snowed, though. It was rare to see the ground white and the sky pale in this quiet town.

"Are you going home tonight?" she called to me, whilst grabbing her bag and keys.

"No, I don't think so. I reckon I can make it to the Falls before sunrise. Besides, I need the motivation." She came back into view and handed me a small bag filled with leftover bacon for Nightingale.

"I'll see you here tomorrow for our girls' night out, yeah?" I smiled and nodded at her, and we left the diner together. I waited for her to lock the door before we climbed into our cars and drove off in different directions.