Chapter 5

Kira returned the next night holding my bag and several books. She smiled as she entered, wearing her pyjamas. She shut the door carefully before placing my bag on the bed. I had forgotten all about it. The books were stacked on the vanity table.

"The guards are asleep." She whispered smiling. I laughed at her spy-like nature and stood beside the bed.

Kira stood on the other side and pulled the strange wooden box out of the bag and placed it on the bed.

"I have no idea how you found it, but you need to unlock it." I studied it again in my hands and felt the significance of the wolves on the box. I hadn't noticed its simple beauty the first time I held it.

"I tried when I first found it. Well, I didn't find it, Nightingale did." I suddenly thought of Nightingale and let the guilt consume me quickly.

"Where is Nightingale?" I almost screamed.

"She's fine." Kira replied pointing to the door and gesturing me to be quieter.

"Sorry. Where is she?" I whispered.

"They've got her chained in the basement and heavily sedated. But I've been making sure she's being fed, I promise." I breathed out as she explained how she had been sneaking in food and water, trying to keep her alive but could not stop her from being sedated.

"I need to get out of here." I groaned but Kira shook her head.

"We have to be careful. If you start talking of escape, things could escalate. If nightingale gets too weak, you'll be vulnerable. I can't let that happen. I'm convincing them you don't want to leave in the hopes they will start being sloppier. Which-" she gestured to the sleeping guards outside the door "-has already begun to happen."

Her knowledge and level-headedness were to be admired. She was smart and I was glad she was on my side, but I still was confused about my role in this.

"What is so important about me? I know nothing of this. I have lost everything just to be locked in this room for god knows how long."

"Autumn, I don't know. All I know is that you are so important to our future. I would lay down my life for yours, so please trust me."

"Trust you? The last person who protected me is lying with bullets in her. I cannot allow anyone else to. Please, I might be able to protect you."

She shook her head violently, "No. I made a pact to your mother to do this. Let me keep that to her."

I sighed and picked up the box, looking out the window, back to where I saw Ruby.

"You're very stubborn." She laughed and nodded. "You signed up to protect me with your life when you have no idea what that means."

She shrugged, "I don't remember it. I just woke up one day and remembered the most vivid dream.

"I saw your mother talking to another woman who was holding three children: one who looked a lot like me. She placed magic in all of us, something to tie us to you. When your mother died, that magic was almost awakened in me, explaining that I would lay down my life for yours. I was never told why you were important but there were words being flung around I didn't catch. All I know is that you are for the future of all. Werewolves or not."

"Who were the other children?"

"One was a girl named Ruby. She is also in this pack, and we met walking up to your room the first day you arrived."

"You know Ruby?" I asked, shocked. "Tall, likes to play with boys, always wears red."

"Yes. How do you know her?"

"She's my best friend." We smiled at each other, and I thought of the pure irony that led Ruby to me and now she was my sworn protector, by some sort of magic spell.

We sat down chatting about different things, mainly questions I had about werewolves and magic. She answered every one with such patience. I was very grateful.

I looked down at the box as the sunrise began to fill the room.

"So will this show me who I am?" I pondered.

"I have no idea. But I better go. I'll be back at dusk. Hope you figure it out."

Pacing the room with the box in my hand, I wondered what could possibly be inside it. How did it end up under that bush when I had sat up there for years? I surely would have noticed it.

Time went on and I put down the box to read the other books Kira brought for me. Not all were history books which I was thankful for, but I did actually feel I understood what the werewolf world was all about.

I heard the click of the lock on the door and immediately threw the box under the bed. As I looked to the door, Greyson was standing there with a smirk on his face.

"Ah, my future bride. Ready to give up your powers yet?" He reached down to his belt buckle and began to undo it.

I felt the aggression as well as pure disgust build up in me and marched up to him.

As I went to punch him, he pushed a needle into my neck he had been hiding behind his back.

"I don't think so." He smirked. I pulled it out hard, feeling whatever was in it rush into my body. Even though I was unsteady, I pushed the needle right into the centre of his neck causing him to let out a yelp.

He tried to speak but couldn't.

As I collapsed to the ground, I heard him thud against the wall. My eyes slowly drifted closed before I heard or saw anything else.