Chapter 9

The stormy night was filled with tossing and turning. I barely slept as I kept imagining those trying to kill me on the porch steps of the farmhouse. Nightingale paced the door all night whilst Kira slept soundly in the bed next to me.

In my restlessness, I decided it was time to cover our tracks. I got up and slipped on a summer dress before walking quietly downstairs. Nightingale was hot on my tail.

All the lights were off in the house, apart from one. In the library, Ember was sat at a small desk with the desk lamp lighting up papers on her desk.

"Ember?" I wandered over to her and she smiled through the tiredness.

"Autumn? What are you doing up so late... or should I say early?" The clock she turned to was showing one AM.

"Is there a 24-hour store anywhere? I think I'd like to get some things for when we leave in the morning." She nodded and told me how to get there and even called a taxi for me to take into town.

I walked outside and hopped into the taxi with Nightingale next to me. The driver didn't speak to me, but it was early. We drove in the darkness, and I didn't bother to look at the view.

As if it were a mirage, the store appeared out of thin air. I got out of the taxi, asked the driver to wait for me, and walked inside. Nightingale waited outside patiently as I went inside.

I picked up a basket and began to wander through the aisles. Picking up several different blankets, fire bricks, and matches. I also picked up plastic bottles, power bars, and some water purification tablets which I was surprised to find.

Dumping it all on the check-out desk, the man began scanning each item. I paid for it and bagged it up. I thanked him and he grunted.

Making my way back to the taxi, I dumped the bags into the boot, and we climbed in.

I paid the taxi driver and we walked back inside the farmhouse. The day was still young, and Kira was still sleeping. Nightingale slipped underneath the curtain and sat there basking in the beginning of the dawn.

I pushed open the bathroom door and put down the bags inside. I opened the cupboards and pulled out some scissors from the basket. Breathing out, I began to cut away at my hair until it was no longer than my shoulders. The sink began to fill with chunks of hair and all I heard was the clunk of the scissors every few seconds.

A knock on the door made me turn and I cracked it open to see a very sleepy Kira on the other side. I smiled as she gasped at my hair.

I explained that short hair was easier to manage. She hugged me and we stood embraced for a while. I then passed her three bags to give to Ruby and Matt. She was quick to pass it on and I began stuffing the rest of the bags into my bag. I filled up the water bottles and carried them, intending to hand them to the others.

It wasn't long before the five of us gathered in the lobby. I paid for the rooms, and we quickly began walking along the side of the road. Nightingale had improved greatly and was ready for the journey.

We fell into silence and began trudging once again but luckily at a much slower pace. I swung my bag around and pulled out the book. I studied the blank cover once again, it not giving me anything.

The words on the next page read, 'It's time to go up. To the mountains.'

I looked around at the scenery to notice a large cluster of mountains on the horizon. I told the group that's where we were heading, and the plan was set.

We moved into the forest to cover ourselves and began the slow trek to the mountains. The quiet conversation helped the insanity and I picked up the pace to stand between Ruby and Kira with Matt behind us, watching, or more like smelling, out for danger.

"Kira, there were girls in the basement. What are they doing there?"

Both their faces fell and I realised I had stumbled onto something dangerously uncomfortable.

"Those girls down there are... for the pleasure of men. Many are young wolves who without developing their wolf are weak enough to withstand an attack from the higher ranks. I was once down there until I got my wolf." Kira spoke quietly; she didn't want anyone to hear it.

"I'm so sorry, Kira. That should not happen. They were terrified of me, of everything."

"It's to keep them alive. Don't take it personally." Kira sniffed and marched a little to walk ahead of us. Anger, disappointment, and disgust filled me to the core. I hadn't known Kira long, but this betrayal was worth killing every single one of them.

The group fell back into silence, but everyone was deep in thought, we hardly noticed how far we got towards the mountains.

I stopped us at the base, and we all sat down, eating the snacks, and drinking water. The silence was consuming but welcoming considering we were tired.

We had been sat for no more than ten minutes before Matt stood up quickly and began sniffing the air.

"We have to move. Now!" He began stuffing things into the bags and the girls got up and began walking up the trail. I rose slowly and looked down the road to see black SUVs coming toward us.

"Autumn, we have to go."

Rage filled inside of me and any reasoning I had flew out the window. I dropped my bag on the floor and started walking towards the cars.

I could hear their voices yelling at me to turn around, but I knew what I wanted: the death of my cousin and my uncle.

As the SUVs came closer, they slowed down and one by one, people appeared dressed all in black. From the centre emerged Greyson. He had two small silver knives in his hands and began twirling them in the air before catching them again.

"Want to fight, my bride?" He squawked out like a seasick parrot. I watched as his eyes darted to the girls stood behind me and then they focussed on Kira.

"Ah, my little fuck toy. Every great man has a mistress, don't they?"

I spat at him and stepped forward, "You will never touch her again.

"Let's dance, fuckwit."

As I went to step forward, a gunshot rattled through the air. Everything went into slow motion.

I watched as Kira, sworn to her word, pushed me down to the floor and took the force of the bullet. Her body fell to the ground slowly, the noise echoing into every part of me.

I tried to scream. I tried to get to her, but I couldn't. Once again, I was held back.

"We have to go, Autumn." Ruby tried to soothe me as she pulled me toward the mountain. The tears began to fall as did the rain. Our scent disappeared and it would be harder for them to track us into the mountains now.

As we ran for the cover of the forest, I turned briefly to see Kira lying with a man kneeling next to her. He kissed her forehead and was holding her, his sobs and curses rolling into the air.

AN: vote and comment.

What do you think of Kira's death?

Who is the man holding her?