Chapter 18

She nodded and smiled, pride beaming from every pore before leading me to the field. Werewolves were fighting one another to the death until they were called to stop. Even with cuts bleeding into the grass they shook hands.

As if my presence called upon their wolves, every one of them began to turn and bow to me. I felt their wolves submit in a way I never felt before. I relished in it.

Whispers in the crowd of the phoenix spread like wildfire. I floated through the parted audience until I reach the centre.

"The great sanctuary has protected you for many years from every threat that has come your way. Being inside here you do not see the dangers so many wolves face on the outside, in the real world. I have. I have stood in the face of great dangers and lost many along the way. Friends, family, and even strangers. People risked their lives for me when I didn't know why.

"Now I know why. I am the legendary last titan and the mighty Phoenix. I am here to defeat all the dangers of this world and make it possible for you to leave the sanctuary and still be safe. I will liberate those imprisoned, kill those who seek power and bless those who seek freedom.

"So, I stand before you now asking you to risk your lives for those you do not know to free the world of evil. I ask you to free yourselves of this world and find your freedom. Some of you may not return to your loved ones, but it is worth the risk. You are the mighty guard of the sanctuary trained to fight the battles others cannot. Now is the time to put those skills into use. Join me now and rise to your full potential as I have done. And I can lead you into victory."

Cheers exploded through the crowd as many began talking and agreeing with me. I smiled at Nightingale who grinned as a wolf does. In the crowd, I saw Poseidon with a shocked look on his face. As he walked to me, I shook my head.

Many came up to me as the day went on and agreed to join my cause. They began to gather resources and Armor up on the main field. Not all joined but I was grateful people had their priorities where they needed them.

Walking past the castle, I saw Ruby's house finally finished. It was a cute two-story cottage with a white picket fence around the outside. She was stood holding her belly whilst Matt was planting flowers in the window.

There was one more thing I had to do.

"Ah, Autumn. There you are." She rushed, as quickly as she could, to me pulling me towards her house.

"Isn't it beautiful? I am so happy to be here." She clutched my side and I held her close.

"Ruby... I need t-" She cut me off immediately.

"I know. But let's pretend that tonight might not be our last night together. Come in and have dinner with us." I nodded wiping off the tear that fell and following her inside. We walked through the small cottage into the nursery. The walls were a pale lilac with a small cot in one corner and a wardrobe in the order in a pale brown.

On the wall in a curvaceous font was the baby's name – 'Kira'. I smiled and began to sob as Ruby embraced me. We cried together for the last time that night.

Dinner was quiet and pleasant. We sat sharing stories of our past. We laughed. We cried.

"Ruby, I need to separate our bond. I think it's time you protect your new family." I couldn't help but smile as I watched my best friend who was rebellious and crazy become a wife and a mother.

"How do we do that?" She asked quietly as Matt took the plates in the kitchen.

"The witch who bonded us together still lives here. She keeps the border up and created the sanctuary. We can find her and get her to remove it." She nodded at my plan, and we got up heading for the door. As I opened it, a woman with long frizzy ginger hair and a fair complexion stood there.

"You called for me, great titan? I felt you needed my help." I nodded slowly and moved aside letting her inside the house.

"I am Valentina, witch of the Teresina coven in Brazil. My mother is the one who put the bond on you both, but I can change it."

Ruby sat down and sipped some tea Matt had given her. "What do you mean change it? You can't get rid of it?"

Valentina shook her head, "You cannot simply destroy magic. Its essence has to be moved to another thing. I will see what I can do."

I sat down at the table and thought for a moment. I looked over at Ruby and Matt, who was rubbing her belly.

"Could you attach the bond to the unborn child? Make it so Ruby will do whatever she can to protect her child? That seems right."

Valentina nodded, smiling, and gestured for our hands. I placed mine in hers as did Ruby.

Valentina's eyes shot open with blinding yellows chanting, "Quebre o vínculo!"

She spoke this over and over, louder. The room began to shake as magic swirled around us. I tried to pull my hands to cover my face, but Valentina's grip was strong.

"Coloque o vínculo." She spoke softly, letting go of my hand and placing hers on Ruby's stomach. She repeated this quietly, getting softer every time until the room became still once again.

Ruby looked at me and smiled, putting her thumb up and rubbing her belly. I laughed and mirrored her gesture. Matt was quick to sit beside her and ask if she was alright. Valentina bowed to me and walked out of the room before I could thank her.

I turned back to my family, and we chatted a little more before I had to go.

It was over too soon. I said goodbye to Ruby, Matt, and baby Kira before taking the slow walk back to the field where the warriors were gathering.

"Stop avoiding me." I turned to see Poseidon standing in front of me. He couldn't even look me in the eye.

"You know what I have to do. Let me do this without any regrets. Don't follow me." He marched up to me, wrapped his arms around my waist, and pulled me in to kiss me.

The kiss was full of passion and sadness as our lips melded together. I gasped for air as I rested my forehead against his. He placed me down slowly.

"I'll be back in just a few days. Meet me in the library and we can spend time together just the two of us." He smiled and laughed a little before kissing my forehead and embracing me closely. We stayed together for a few moments before it ended. It had to end.

I stood in front of my army ready to march back into the pack of Icarus and Greyson. As I approached the exit, the noise disappeared. All that was heard was the gentle wind tickling the trees, the crashing of the waves in the pool, and the twittering of birds. The smell of the blossoms filled the air and I inhaled deeply.

"Relish in this while you can. The next thing you'll smell is the blood of your enemies."

Breathing deeply, I took a big pace forward igniting the archway, and stepped through. The world disappeared around us and was replaced with the Falls where I would go and watch the sunsets.

The others followed me through and began to set themselves up. Tents were pitched and fires were lit as the sun disappeared covering the army in the darkness that was settled in every single person's soul.

I sat down on the edge of the cliff and Nightingale sat beside me resting her head on my lap.

"If only we could go back to this, Gale. So much has changed since we last sat here." She whimpered and rubbed her head against mine. I loved her more than anything. If only nothing changed. If only I never picked up that box.

I walked around the campsite in the silence of anticipation and lit the fires making sure everyone was warm and fed. The night was still too young to attack but it was inevitable. The feelings were thick with a mixture of fear, excitement, and the unknown. Who truly knew what the next 24 hours would bring? Or take away?

AN: vote and comment.