Chapter 10

We eventually stopped running and began at a slow pace. Nightingale was holding my bag in her mouth, and she gave it to me. I nodded to her, and she trotted off to join Matt at the front.

I followed up at the back and felt wave after wave of emotions from everyone around me. Grief. Pain. Anger. But worst of all was the disappointment; that was coming straight from my heart.

I collapsed to the floor, screaming out.

Ruby was quick to come to my side. "Autumn?" She held me tight, and we wept together on the floor. The rain hadn't stopped but the sun was disappearing.

Matt picked us up and we walked behind him until we came to a cave where he had set up a fire and laid down a few blankets for beds.

We sat down and the silence was overwhelming.

"I killed her." I whispered.

Ruby came and sat next to me. She shook her head, wrapping her arm around me.

"No, of course, you didn't."

I pulled away and stood up, "Yes. I did. She's dead because I thought I could take on a whole army! I killed her!" I screamed and walked out of the cave; Nightingale close behind me.

I turned, standing in the rain. I let the water run down my face and through my hair. My clothes became soaked, and I let the chill consume me.

"No, Nightingale. Go back inside." She whimpered and lowered her ears, in submission.

"I said go!" I yelled and she whined before turning around, walking into the cave.

I stood outside alone, and I deserved it. I tried to look back to the road to see if Kira was there, but the rainclouds covered my view.

The image of her body lying in the road stuck in my head as I began to pace. I could only imagine Greyson's anger and joy at that moment; he knew he was destroying me. I couldn't watch another person die. I wasn't strong enough. I never will be.

As the rain began to dry up, the night was upon me. I laid on my back, looking at the stars that peaked through the clouds. It was a beautiful moment, but I couldn't admire it. I propped myself on my elbows as I heard steps from the cave: Nightingale.

She laid her head and whimpered on my chest. I sighed and stroked her before settling in the silence.

As morning arrived Ruby and Matt were standing by the entrance of the cave waiting for me. I sat up and Ruby gave me a firm nod so I stood. Nightingale stretched, yawning from her long sleep.

Just in case, I opened my bag and flicked open the book. When no new words were filling the blank pages, I closed it and headed out.

"Which way?"

"Up."

Colour disappeared the further we pursued the path. Shrubs vanished, vines didn't grow, and trees weren't this tall. In every direction, grey covered our views.

We continued to follow the grey path until it hit a dead end. Matt turned and shrugged as I stared in annoyance at the huge wall of rock blocking my path.

"Where do we go now, Autumn?" Ruby asked as she watched Matt walk up and down the wall looking for a way around.

"I have no idea." I frowned and looked at the book. Seeing no answers, I huffed and stood in front of the wall. Putting my hand on the wall, I gripped it and began to climb up. I pushed my feet in and tried to keep my body as close to the wall as I possibly could. I kept going up, small rocks crumbling underneath my feet.

As I looked down to see the three of them watching me, I noticed a figure moving behind them.

Squinting, I noticed the figures of several wolves. I wasn't losing anyone else.