Chapter 7

This time I didn't hesitate. I picked up the book and shoved it into my bag. Throwing in some clothes as well as the box, I threw it onto the bed. I ran into the bathroom, picking up some essentials like shampoo and my toothbrush.

I went into my bedroom and placed a pillow under the window. Tugging at the curtain, I pulled the rail off the wall, and it landed soundlessly onto the pillow. I picked it up, slung my bag over my shoulder, and stood to one side of the door.

I pounded on the door and made my best desperate voice, "Help me, please. I fell a-and I need your help."

With some hesitation, I heard one guard click the lock and peered inside.

"Miss? Where are you?"

I stood behind the door and quietly whispered, "In the bathroom."

He walked right past me into the bathroom, leaving the door wide open. I pushed over the wardrobe, using the pillow technique again, locking him in the bathroom. I walked through and hit the second guard round the back of the head, leaving him unconscious. I pushed his body inside quickly and locked them both in the room. Quickening my pace and my grip, I scurried down the corridor, towards where I remembered the stairs were. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw someone behind me. Spinning around, I hesitated my attack when I saw it was Kira.

"Autumn?!"

"Where is Nightingale? Find Ruby and meet me in the woods. We are leaving now." She nodded and explained how to get to Nightingale before running off in the other direction.

I followed her instructions and found a servants' staircase past the normal stairs. Heading down, it was dark, but I needed to keep going until I reached the last one. I felt my body catch against the floor from an extra step that wasn't there and knew I had made it. Looking around, I tried to scan to see Nightingale. It wasn't helpful; she was also black.

"Gale?" I called out. Hearing a whine, I followed the noise.

I passed cage after cage of young girls changed up. They looked weak and broken. Many were naked, covered in blood, probably their own, and weren't moving. None of them even looked at me.

Gale was in the far corner. She had a small window, and the moonlight was shining directly on her face. I pushed open the cage and began to untie her, starting with her muzzle.

"God, I am so sorry girl. I needed to be sure we would make it out of here alive." I whispered petting her.

"Well, you still haven't picked the right time." A screeching voice, like nails on a chalkboard, made me turn around.

"Greyson, you don't sound too good." I smirked stepping out of the cage.

"You pierced my voice box when you shoved that needle into me, you demon."

"I am pretty sure the only demon around here is you. Who wants to marry their cousin? Who laughs when their Auntie is murdered?"

"You are not my cousin! I only want you for your powers. But after all of this, maybe killing a titan is the better way of gaining it?"

He charged at me, and I ran at him. I pushed him back with a swift kick to the stomach and he stumbled. He glared and bared his fangs, growling almost foaming at the mouth like the sick werewolf he is.

Running at me, I stepped away at the last minute and knocked him in the back of the head with the rail. He fell to the floor with a thud. Just for good measure, and maybe a little revenge, I hit him again.

The girl in the closest cage screamed pushing herself against the wall. I kneeled down next to the cage and asked her who she was. She just shook her head and refused to look at me.

I sighed and averted my attention back to Nightingale. She had shuffled towards the door, and I helped lift her, dropping the rail, as we went through the back exit, as Kira told me, towards the freedom of the forest. She was weak but I could tell there was fight in her.

"I'll come back for you." I spoke to the cages. With no response, I ventured forward with my escape.

The escape was through Bilco doors, and they were always left unlocked. They were heavy so I forced as hard as I could before they swung open with a terrible clattering. I swore and pulled nightingale up before sprint-walking towards the forest.

We made it into the hedgerows when people started to appear and investigate the area. The alarm was sounded, and people began to appear from all directions. I started walking further into the forest until I saw three people standing in a clearing.

"Autumn?" Kira ran over and helped me pull Nightingale into the clearing.

Ruby was stood next to Matt who fidgeted nervously under my gaze.

"Can I trust him?" I looked at Ruby.

She nodded firmly and replied, "He's my mate."

I nodded my head slowly before Kira informed us we must keep moving. The five of us fell in line and each took turns to carry Nightingale through the forest.

The walk was exhausting as we trudged through. Howls filled the air making it known we couldn't stop. The pain was shooting up my legs whilst my back ached. We couldn't stop; it wasn't safe yet.

Each time we went to rest, the howling became closer and Matt, who I learned was a tracker, could smell how close they were.

"Too close." He groaned, picking himself up from the fallen tree he was sitting on. "Keep moving."

We continued at a slowing place, our feet dragging against the floor. Countless times had I tripped on a root or rabbit hole.

As the darkness was replaced by the rising sun, we came across a road. I looked up and down it until I spotted a small building on the right. We all dragged our bodies towards it until a small B&B came into focus. It was a farmhouse called "The Horse and The Goat". I didn't think much of the name then. All I wanted was a place to rest.