Chapter 2

I entered into the diner, running in. I scanned around and saw Ruby chatting up one of the guys who came in last night. Greyson was sat beside him fiddling with a straw in an empty milkshake glass.

"Oh, here she is. Autumn, you obviously know Greyson, but this is Matt. They want to take us out tonight. What do you say?" I looked at them both seeing how Matt was just staring at Ruby's breasts whilst Greyson was looking at me.

"I thought it was just going to be the two of us." She pouted at me, ushering me away from them.

"If you really don't want to go then we won't but I really like Matt. He's super sweet and just so dreamy." She gazed back to him before turning to me, flashing her puppy dog eyes.

I looked at her deeply trying to hold her gaze. Finally, I gave up.

"Keep it PG and keep Greyson away from me." She accepted my terms. "And I'm taking my car. I'm not getting stuck on my own again."

The memories of the last time had scarred me from ever relying on her to get me home.

"That was one time, Autumn! You love bringing that up." She giggled and began explaining it to the boys. I sighed and turned around, texting my mum the change of plans.

"Hey, Autumn." I heard a voice behind me. It was Greyson.

"Oh, hey. How's the book going? Enjoying it?" He smiled, nodding and we began discussing his theories behind each character and the plot.

"I don't think Hanna will ever love her mate. He seems weird."

"Well, isn't that the point? She will change him, and they will fall in love." I battered my eyelids holding my hands together like a damsel in distress. He laughed full-heartedly, and I smiled. It felt weird for us to get along.

"Autumn!" her voice cut through my ears, and I turned to see she had her coat on and had linked arms with Matt.

"We're going bowling. You are coming, right?" I looked at her blankly as if she thought I had gotten cold feet.

"Your car yeah?" She asked and I agreed. We all left the diner and got into my car. Greyson got into the passenger's seat and Ruby sat with Matt in the back. Greyson put on some music, and it just so happened to be my taste. I smiled and we laughed, dancing and singing along.

It wasn't long before we got to the bowling alley. The boys paid for us, and we sat down on the bench in our chosen lane. Ruby typed in our names as I got the drinks. I got four plastic cups and two jugs of soft drink before the four of us were back together.

It didn't take long for things to get competitive. Boys v Girls was swiftly changed when I realized how bad Ruby was at bowling. I teamed up with Matt and it was fair to say we wiped the floor with them. I hit strike after strike, fluke or not, and came first.

"Yes! I am the greatest bowler ever!" I screamed throwing my hands in the air. I did a little dance before walking over to the bench.

We went another round, this time I did not do as well. I sat grumbling on the bench as I kept landing my ball in the gutter. Greyson laughed at me, and I felt a twinge in my heart from the reminder of our past. His pleasant side lasted all of five minutes. His one laugh caused years of suffering to surface and flood my mind. Every shove in the corridor, every teasing word, every spit ball that landed in my hair hit me all at once, knocking me into my head. This time I couldn't escape it.

"Your turn, Autumn." Ruby's voice woke me from my thoughts. I nodded, standing up feeling the usual numbness shooting through me. I picked up the closest ball and threw it half-heartedly down the lane. It hit the pins, knocking a few down. I waited for my ball to reappear and picked it up again, throwing it down the lane. It hit the remaining pins but this time I didn't celebrate. I couldn't shake the feeling. I sat down and Ruby sat next to me whilst the boys talked tactics with one another.