Chapter 4

The guards dragged me away as I fought to get to my mother. I watched as they laughed over her body, even kicking her, and mocking her.

"No! Leave her alone!" I screamed, trying to break free. It was no use; they continued to drag me into the house and up the staircase. I let my body go numb and just let them pull me up the stairs, my feet hitting each step.

I didn't even notice when I hit the floor as they shoved me through a door. I heard the click of the lock but didn't move. I didn't know what to think. Things were changing so quickly, and he killed my mother before she could tell me what I needed to know.

I fell asleep, crying on the floor, trying to grieve for my mother. I would never see her again.

A shouting match from outside the door woke me. I stretched up letting my muscles relax from the tight position they slept in.

"I need to see her. I have been instructed to by the alpha." A woman's voice said sternly.

"We were told not to let anyone in there." A man replied.

"She has been in there for days, with no food, no water. Nothing. Let. Me. Through." Her attitude seemed to work, and I heard her knocking.

"Hello? May I come in?" I tried to speak but ended up just squeaking. As I tried to pull myself up, I heard the lock click and a head peeped through the door. The woman had short, almost shaved hair with bright golden eyes that matched her dark complexion. Once she saw me stumble, she rushed inside, dropping some bags on the floor, and helped me to the bed.

"I'm Kira. I've been assigned to look after you whilst you're here and make you feel a little more comfortable." She smiled but I didn't reciprocate.

"Maybe, if he didn't shoot my mother then it might have felt a little more comfortable." Her eyes became deep with sympathy, and she looked down.

"Your mother was a great woman, and I am sorry for her loss. I don't condone Alpha Icarus' actions."

"Alpha?" She quickly waved me off.

"Bath or shower...?"

"Shower, thanks. You can call me Autumn, just Autumn." She nodded before disappearing through another door taking a couple of bags with her. I took the time to look around the room. Two large windows were facing a dark forest with long grey curtains falling on either side of them. Between them was the bed I was sitting on. It was very comfortable with matching grey covers and an almost black throw on the end. To one side was a vanity table, littered with different makeups and varnishes. To the other side was a built-in wardrobe, with white wooden doors. Next to the wardrobe was the bathroom door, which was propped slightly open by Kira.

She appeared in the doorway holding a towel and helped me walk into the bathroom. It was very modern, with a large sink and space beside it with a hand towel, toothbrush, toothpaste, and shower hairbrush. Kira explained she had bought these things for me herself to make me feel comfortable. I thanked her and she left me in the shower alone.

"I'll be outside. Knock when you're changed." She then knocked on the door and left when the guards unlocked it. They swiftly locked it again.

I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and saw how tangled my hair was, how red my eyes were, and the tears that stained my cheeks. I looked awful and I felt that way too. I doubted today would be better.

I brushed my teeth before stripping off and stepping into the shower. There were soaps, shampoos, and conditioners which I used to clean myself up. I brushed through the knots, my eyes stinging with the pain. Eventually, I felt a little better and stepped out. I grabbed the towel Kira had left for me and dried my hair as best I could before realizing, I had no clean clothes. I wrapped the towel around me and stepped into the room.