Chapter 6

Voices started swirling around my head as I came around.

"Look, she's waking up." It was Ruby. I tried to lift my head, but I felt too weak.

"R-Ruby?" I whispered weakly.

"I'm here, Autumn. God, I'm so sorry. Don't try and move. I'll get you some water." I heard her pour water into a glass and felt the cold on my lip before she poured the water into my mouth. I swallowed it graciously and felt the coolness run through my body.

"W-what happened?"

"Greyson, he drugged you. We think he was trying to force the mate bond on you, but he was drunk that when you hit him with the needle he was out like a light. He still is." My body was filled with panic, and I began to shake.

"Try to stay calm, Autumn. He's not here okay. He didn't even get the chance. You're okay." Ruby soothed me and I tried to nod my head to show her I heard her, but nothing moved.

"Could you try and open your eyes?" Someone else asked and I recognized it as Kira.

I pried my eyelids open and was engulfed by the darkness of my room. Turning I saw Kira and Ruby staring over me with the same concerned expression settled in their eyes.

"It's almost as if you guys care about me." I smirked and they smiled. Ruby helped me up and I hobbled to the bathroom. In my complete clumsiness, I knocked over the glass and it smashed against the side of the bedside table.

"Sorry, let me." I reached out and tried to gently pick up the pieces, but I cut myself.

"Shit, Autumn. Let's sort that out." Kira ushered me to the bathroom. I watched as Ruby began to sweep up the small pieces of glass carefully. Kira sat me down on top of the closed toilet and pulled out a first aid kit. She started cleaning out the cut, wiping out the stuck pieces of glass. It stung at first, but I began to let my mind wander.

I thought about Greyson, about my mother, about the past week; how someone would kill another human being, even family, just to keep me. Who I am was a secret and for whatever reason had to stay that way. I needed to know who I was. I thought back to the books I read about werewolves, witches, and vampires. I wondered if they were real too. A particular book stood out in my mind; a witch made a blood pact to keep a secret. I looked down at my hand watching the blood drip onto the floor.

"I wonder." I whispered and stood up in a trance. Kira tried to pull me back, but I just ignored her. I crawled under my bed and pulled out the box, thankful it was still there.

Holding it in my uncut hand, I pressed it against the side of the box. The three of us stood, well Ruby kneeled, there in suspense... as nothing happened.

I hummed at my attempt and threw it down on the bed before making my way back to the bathroom. We all continued with what we were doing until there was a tiny *click*.

I stopped and slowly turned around to see the lid had opened a slight bit. We held our breath as I approached it like something might jump out. When I got closer, I carefully pulled up the lid, and there in the box sat a book. It was blank on the front but looked to be quite thick. I picked up the box and turned it over, so the book fell out. The entire cover was white.

"Open it." Ruby, who was still kneeling on the floor, whispered as if the book might hear her.

I grabbed it and opened the first page. On it was one word: run.

"Run?" Kira asked. I shrugged and flicked through the book. It was blank. No page numbers. No chapter titles. Just one word.

I sighed, disappointed in it before propping it against the pillow. I checked the box, but it was empty. I snapped the lid shut and put it in one of the drawers in my wardrobe.

"I'm sorry, Autumn." Kira said as she finished working on my hand.

"No, it's okay. I didn't think it was going to be anything special or life-changing. It's a pretty box though."

We all sat on my bed together before the girls had to be excused.

"Tell Nightingale I miss her." Kira nodded before leaving.

I pulled over the chair from the vanity table and sat facing the window. I watched werewolves play and fight, wondering if I was ever meant to be in this world. Ruby and Kira believed I play a role in it, but I still feel like I'm on the outside. I haven't stepped a single toe out of this room since I arrived here. But a nagging feeling told me I was in the right place.

I watched as some people began to place rows of chairs with a gap down the middle on the patio. Each chair was white, with a small purple bow on the bow to contrast. As my eyes wandered up the aisle, I saw a wedding arch. It was white, covered in flowers, and stood inside it was Greyson. He looked up and caught my eye line. As if to gesture to it all, he stuck his arms out and grinned like the devil. I gulped realizing this was our wedding, and it was happening much sooner than I thought.

I quickly got up and closed the curtains so forcefully I almost ripped them from the rails. Pacing the room, I was fuelled by my quickening heart rate.

"What should I do? What should I do?" I pulled on my hair. It was getting quite long these days – to the bottom of my back. I groaned and threw the book, hitting it against the wall.

The book fell open onto the page.

I looked at it as more words started to appear.

"Maybe next time listen to me, Autumn. You are very stubborn.

Run!"

AN: Vote and comment!

Who is sending Autumn these messages? Where is she going to go?