Chapter 11

Matt began to gently shake me awake. He hushed me and pointed in the direction of a pathway further up the mountain. I nodded and stood up grabbing my bag. Nightingale came straight to my side. The sun had set, and I held my breath in anticipation of meeting whoever had been writing to me.

We waited as the footsteps of someone approaching got louder and louder. Each step echoed, making it known there was only one person, and their presence was to be known.

The footsteps stopped as a figure appeared in front of us. It was a tall figure with a mask over their face. They were wearing a loose white shirt and black trousers with no shoes. As they lifted the mask, I was greeted with a very handsome face with a long scar crossing his face. He had dark green eyes and dark features that could lure you in.

Our eyes met and he moved out of the path, gesturing for us to go up. I began walking with the others following. The path spiralled around the mountain with makeshift steps seemingly carved from the mountain. Our steps were like raindrops onto concrete and for once I felt untouchable.

Then the path disappeared. It stopped and once again we came face to face with a cliff face. I stood confused until the man was behind me. He smirked at me as he passed me and lowered his mask before stepping through the wall. I watched his body disappear and Nightingale disappeared after him.

I turned to the others and grabbed Ruby's hand who grabbed Matt's.

"Ready?" I asked and she nodded. With a hesitant step, I crept towards the wall and slipped right through into what looked like a cave. The blinding light from the opening made me bring my hand up. I continued to shuffle forward until the hidden world revealed itself.

I gasped as I took in the beauty around me. The first thing that shocked us all was the colour. Trees were sprouted all over, covered in flowers or fruit of every colour. Houses were littered around made from clay but coloured. People were wearing beautiful gowns and had faces lined with reds, golds, and purples. As I looked further, a path made of broken stones led to a big white castle.

Each window was shining different lights onto the ground through the coloured panels. Flags of every colour swung in the wind and confetti of leaves were falling around us. Even the water shimmered with exotic colours.

"Come. She is expecting you." The man spoke with a rough voice and a strange accent. I couldn't place it, but it soon became the last thing on my mind as we walked through the crowds that had gathered. They spoke every language and seemed to be from all over the world. I had never been in a more diverse place.

We arrived at the castle and were ushered inside. The man opened a door down a long corridor and waited patiently for us. The walls were white with black wood lining the top, middle, and bottom. The floor was dark wood with carpet lining the centre. On the walls were pictures of women of all different backgrounds next to wolves.

"They are all women?"

The mysterious man spoke, "Yes. Only women become titans."

I hummed and smiled with pride.

"What kind of goddess would bless the stupider sex anyway?" He winked at me, and I blushed.

I turned back to the walls avoiding his gaze. Most were paintings and looked incredibly old until we reached what must have been the most modern one.

She had long brown hair and hazel eyes with a stark white wolf next to her. They stood in a regal pose holding so much power even they were still.

"She looks just like you, Autumn." I nodded and reached my hand out to trace her face.

"That's because it is your mother." A voice called from the door. I turned to see an old woman with grey hair being supported by the man. She was dressed in a long white gown with two light blue lines on one cheek.