Chapter thirteen

Elliot

I heard the water turn off and hurried to put the plates on the table. She walked out with wet hair, sweatpants and a tank top. She didn't have on a bra so her nipples poked right through the thin fabric. I glanced and quickly looked back up at her when I realized. She chuckled  and went towards the table to sit with me.

“So, what are you doing today?” she said, trying to make small talk as she began to eat. 

“Nothing really. I do have to meet with Gus at six to talk about work. You?”

“Well I do work today, but that’s it” 

“Where?” I said with a confused face. 

“At your house Elliot.” She said as she giggled 

“Oh shit I totally forgot you work for me, want a day off?” 

“No. I need the money” 

“No you don’t. Whatever you need I got you don’t worry” I didn't want her to have to work after all the stuff she did last night. It wasn't about the money to me.

“No, I'm independent and I don't need your help.”

“That is not what I mean, I know you don’t need my help but I want to give it.”

She groaned with aggravation “why, to take it all away when you’re tired of me?  No thanks” 

“What? Evelyn. what are you talking about?”

She lower her head and mumbled “nothing”

“No speak up, what the fuck are you talking about” 

“I just don’t want to be dependent on you . One day you’ll leave like everyone else did and I’ll have to restart.” 

I’d never do that. Well not to her at least. She had her emotions protected with her life and all I want to do is make her happy. 

“I’m not everyone else Evelyn, I’m not going anywhere. If you want to work today that's fine. But loosen up a bit with me. I'm trying.” 

“I want to but I can't. You'll hurt me, I know it , and I can't take anymore hurting I've been through too much.”

Who hurt this girl? Why was she so scared and protective over her feelings. I want her to trust me. I don't want her to feel like I'm going to leave her like anyone else who has in her past. 

“Who did this to you? Why can't you just accept that I genuinely care about you“

“Because you don't. How do you care about me if you don't know me? Up until two weeks ago you didn't even know I existed.” 

“Then let me get to know you. What the fuck could possibly happen”

“I'm full,” she said as she got out of her chair and headed to her room. She turned around right before opening the door as if she had something to say. But she didn't say anything. Instead she hung her head down and closed the door behind her.

I gathered our dishes off the table and cleaned the mess I made in the kitchen.

*****

There was some character development with evelyn. It took long enough but this book is going to start getting intense. I hope you're enjoying it this far though.