Fifteen

Grace got to school and yawned. She was tired Aubree had been up most of the night. Grace looked to see Tom and smiled. Tom walked over. "How's my girl?" He asked as he picked her from the pushchair.

Grace smiled. "Teething."

Tom nodded. "You look tired. Do you want me to talk her for a few days?" Tom asked as Grace looked to him. He smiled. "I want too. Look I know how hard things have been. But we're her parents. I want to help. Plus I need to tell you something. There's a new girl starting. Lola. I want you to get to know her."

Grace looked to him and grinned. "Are you trying to set me up with friends? As if I don't have any?" She teased.

Tom looked to her and chuckled. "No. Not at all. It's more than that. she's pregnant," Tom said.

Grace looked to him and nodded. "What's that got to do with me? Oh wait you didn't? You got her pregnant! Tom really?! Who's next?" She asked.

Tom sighed. "It's not like that. I love her. But I haven't told her about Aubree yet as she's freaking to start with. Can you get to know her? And maybe when I tell her, she won't freak as much," Tom said.

Grace sighed. Against her better judgement, she found herself agreeing.

****

Grace walked into the common room. She looked to see Lola and sighed. "You're Lola right? You're the new girl aren't you? I'm Grace," she said.

Lola nodded. "Tom...I mean Mr Clarkson said you'd be popping by. You know that you don't need to babysit the new girl because she's pregnant. I can handle myself."

Grace looked to her and smiled. "I'm sure you can. But as a mum myself, I thought that we could look out for each other. I mean what have you got to lose?" Grace told her.

Lola looked to her and smiled. "Sure why not? Sorry. It's just since getting pregnant... I feel like, I don't trust many people," she said.

Grace smiled and nodded. "I know that. Trust me. There was this girl. She was my friend. Or so I thought. She had twins and lied to the dad about it and left. She hurt him bad and me. She lied to me. So I know what it's like to be lied to. Trust me," Grace said as Lola smiled.

Grace looked to her and smiled. Grace already felt bad that she was lying to Lola about the fact that Tom was Aubree's father. But she knew that it wasn't her secret to tell.

****

Grace sat in the crèche with Aubree. She looked to see Tom as he walked in. "Thanks for not telling Lola," he said.

Grace nodded. "I did it with Aubree. I like Lola so don't make me keep this up for too long. As I won't. You should tell her the truth about Shannon. Look, I know that you have been hurt Tom. But you're a good guy. And Lola isn't Shannon. You say that you love her. Then you should prove it. Tell her the truth. As I won't lie for you," she told him as he nodded.

Grace knew it was complicated. How she cared for her new friend. But for how long would she lie to her for?