Chapter 16

Nicholas sighed. The urge to chastise himself over yet another mistake at trying to avoid this woman was just not there. Lafayette was in a daze, staring off with a contented look on her face as she fumbled with the buttons on her trousers.

He pushed her hands away, and began to button them himself. He pulled her top coat down and straightened it on her. He brushed off as much of the grass as he could before taking a step back.

He picked up his rifle, making sure that the next bullet was in line. "We should go. We have a bit of daylight left. The gunshot from earlier has scared all of the pheasants away from this area. We have to find another nest."

Lafayette cleared her throat, pulling at the grass trapped in her mass of hair as she followed behind him. 

The walked quietly for a while, her close behind him, and him continuously facing forward. When the silence was unbearable she moved in front of him, stopping him in his tracks. "For God sakes, are you going to pretend like that didn't happen? Are you going to pretend like you didn't just admit that you want me?"

He stayed silent for a moment, as if mulling over his answer in his head. "What would you like me to say?" He asked rather blandly.

She bristled at his tone, "If I had something to throw at you I would."

"You can't expect me to hunt while we have yet another bloody row, do you?" He snapped back.

"I don't want you to win. In fact I hope Alfred blows you out of the water!" 

"By God, I hope he does! I hope sweeps you off your feet and you get married. I hope he gets you as far away from me as possible!"

"Go to the Devil, Nicholas Anderton! I hope a stray bullet gets you in the ass!" She screamed, "And I hope he does win! I'd rather spend the evening dancing with him anyway! If he proposes, I'll say yes so quick your head will spin!"

"Good!"

"Great! Absolutely fantastic!"

The two of them stared at each other. Breathing heavily, faces flushed with anger and frustration. 

"Enough of this," Nicholas spat, running a shaky hand through his hair, "We haven't the time and nor is this the appropriate place."

"That shouldn't matter to you. You just ravaged me out here, it's a little late to care about formalities."

"Fay. Please." His voice was quiet, and full of an emotion she couldn't quite pinpoint. She sighed, lifted her chin and turned on her heels. 

"Let's get on with it. I have a long night of dancing with Alfred ahead of me."

Nicholas clutched his rifle tighter in his hands. He would make sure that didn't happen.

--------------------------

The gun shot when off, hitting the pheasant in mid-air. The bird fell down to the earth in a spiral. It's flock screeching in their hasty escape.

Lafayette grimaced as she watched Nicholas tie a double knotted string to the birds neck. He walked toward her and reached for the makeshift belt he had made her. Around his waist and hers, were several of his kills.

"Don't you think you've hunted enough?" She asked as he bent down on one knee in front of her to attach the dead bird to her belt.

He stood, dusting off his knee. "Not nearly enough."

"It doesn't matter if you hunt, you know. I'm sure Alfred has already far surpassed you." She mused.

Nicholas frowned, his eyes misty with an emotion she had never seen before. "Nicholas?"

He took a step back, putting distance between them. He ran a busy hand across his chin, scratching at the growing stubble there. "You're right. Let's head back. We've caught enough."

Her mouth fell open. She hadn't expected his sudden change in demeanor. He turned and began a steady stride back through the line of sparse trees. She followed quickly behind him, her brows furrowed as she kept up with his even stride.

She was so focused on him and his sudden change of emotion, she didn't realize they had stepped out of the clearing and back on to the waiting preparation setup. Several of the servants came over to help take the pheasants and other creatures from his kill.

Lafayette watched as they counted his kills, silently hoping that he had won the contest. Even if he didn't want to spend another moment with her, she wouldn't force him to dance with her but the thought of dancing with Alfred all night turned her stomach.

Or maybe her stomach was simply upset? The sudden knot in her stomach made her gag and she quickly covered her mouth with her hand.

Nicholas cast her a quick glance but she looked away, relief washing over her as Leo walked through the clearing. His belt was full with his game.

He allowed the servants to take his rifle and his game. She moved toward him, trying to put distance between her and Nicholas.

"How did you do?" She asked as she neared him, clearing her throat to try and rid herself of the bile there. 

Leo frowned at her before sighing, "After I gave up on chasing after you, I think I did fairly well. Hunting has never been my strong suit."

She nibbled on her bottom lip, "Between you and Nicholas, I'm sure one of you has more than Alfred?" She asked hopefully, clasping her hands together as if in prayer.

Leo tsked, "You do know the chap was raised in this country side? I doubt either of us made a dent in his kills. Add in the fact that we were both distracted by a certain stubborn damsel."

Lafayette winced at his words. She placed a hand on her hip, the other absentmindedly playing in her hair. She allowed herself a moment to get lost in her thoughts. Her mind played over the events of the day, Nicholas's words echoed in her head. She turned to glance at his tense figure and silently wondered if his words of anger were his true feelings?

Suddenly Alfred was walking through the clearing, an attendant at his side. Lafayette's eyes immediately sought out his belt. 

"Damn it all to bloody hell." She muttered as Alfred looked in her direction with a triumphant smile.

*Not her about to throw tf up... And I oop-*