Chapter 3

Lafayette gasped, turning to glance at her cousin. Good, God, was she that obvious?

"I haven't the slightest clue what you mean."

Leo sighed, standing, his chair scraping the expensive porcelain floor. "This family...always wanting something quite off limits."

She frowned. "How is he off limits?"

"He's your father's best friend. Have you thought about what your father will do if he finds out Nicholas is in love with you?"

She huffed, "But he's not in love with me."

He offered her his hand and she took it, standing. He lead her to the dance floor as the next song was played. "Come now, Fay. Must we play this game? It's only a matter of time before the man is beside himself with the thought of you."

She gave him a hopeful look. "Really?"

Leo sighed at his cousin. "I really shouldn't help you, you know. This is trouble just waiting to happen."

"You exaggerate, Leo."

"I do not. But as your, dear, loyal cousin. I will buy you some alone time with the chap. Though I can't for the life of me figure out why you would want Nicholas of all people. The man is dumber than a drunkard kicked in the head by a mule."

Lafayette laughed, she couldn't help herself. "When I marry him, I won't tolerate that joke at all."

Leo chuckled, "You're not married to the man yet. But any-who, please tell me you have a plan because I do hate to burst that hopeful bubble of yours, though you already know, Nicholas is as dense as they come."

"I have a plan." She said on a whisper.

Leo raised a brow but before he commented, he danced them closer to Nicholas and the woman in his arms. "Do tell."

She nibbled her bottom lip for a moment. That got a frown out of Leo. "I have a feeling that whatever you have in your head will very well upset me. Tell me I'm wrong."

"Seduction." Lafayette blurted out, tilting her chin in a proud manner, "that's my plan."

He stopped dancing. "What?"

She bristled, "I plan on seducing the man."

"The hell you will."

"You're telling me I can't?"

Leo was frowning now. "I'm telling you I won't let you."

"Oh, stop it. I don't need your permission, Leo. Now move it, we're causing attention."

He resumed dancing, though the frown on his face stayed there. "This is rather stupid and unlike you. Who put the idea in your head. I bloody well know you didn't think of it alone."

"Angel suggested it."

He sighed, "I should have known. I'm not sure I want to help you anymore."

"You're my favorite cousin, you know?"

"Flattery will only get you so far." He grinned despite himself. "But seduction, really? Can't you think of anything else?"

"I've done everything else! I've thrown hints at the man, I've virtually told him I want to give him children, it goes in one ear and flies out of the other. This is all I have left."

He twirled her and suddenly they were mere feet away from their target. "Bloody hell," he whispered.

"I always thought you'd get married in an easier fashion, you know." He mumbled to her before dancing right up against Nicholas, bumping into him.

"Oh, dear, quite sorry." Leo mumbled with feigned concern before snapping his fingers. "Why, Nicholas! How are you? We didn't know you'd be here?"

Nicholas smiled as he always did, his dimple sinking. "Don't worry about it, it was a last minute decision to come. Is it just you two?"

"Aw, no, Ean is around here somewhere, breaking innocent little hearts with that face of his. By the by, I do hope you won't mind if we switch partners. Lafayette is bored with my dancing skills."

Before Nicholas could agree Leo grabbed his dancing partner's hand and virtually pushed Lafayette into his arms. As he began to dance away he whispered in Lafayette's ear, "Do be careful, I'd really rather not have to murder the man."

----

Lafayette felt a sensuous warmth pool in the pit of her stomach. That's how she knew that Nicholas was meant for her. No one else had ever made her feel so giddy. She had danced with plenty of men, had even been kissed a time or two but none of those embraces felt nearly as nice as Nicholas's arms around her.

"What has brought you to the ball, Nicholas? I hardly ever see you at these kind of things?" She asked innocently, though she was fishing for information. Because it was true, he hardly ever showed up or made appearances to social gatherings.

He chuckled, "I don't socialize very much, do I?" He asked, though it wasn't truly a question to be answered, merely an observation. "I suppose I just think it's time."

She frowned, "Time for what?"

His smile never faltered, filled with his boyish innocence as he said, "To find a wife. It's been coming up a lot lately and I've decided to pursue it."

Lafayette nearly tripped over her own feet. The hand he had on her waist suddenly was pushing her forward, catching her against his chest. "Are you alright?" He asked.

She quickly stood upright, trying to will away the blush on her soft brown cheeks. Her heart was pounding at his words. He was looking for a wife?

"Do you...well, do you have anyone in mind?" She started, her hopes rising.

He tilted his head as if in thought. "No, not really."

Her hope deflated instantly.

"But then again, it's been years since I've put myself on the market, darling. I suppose I'm rather rusty at conversing with the ton. Lord knows how long it will take me to find a woman who can tolerate me." He laughed.

Before she could stop herself she blurted out, "I could help you, you know. Court me, use me as...practice?"

Nicholas beamed down at her at the suggestion.

Now why the hell had she suggested something so stupid?

"Bloody fucking hell," she mumbled, repeating Ean's phrase.