Chapter 13

Dedicated to my Patrons: Jazmyne, Jalene, Coolcat, Lexie, Anita, Amya, Niesha, Brad, and Leila! Thanks so much guys!!

Lafayette stared down at the rabbit stew in her bowl. She was not the least bit hungry. In fact, she was rather annoyed. 3 days on this bloody trip and Nicholas had managed to be nothing but cordial and host like. It was as if he had a barrier up that she could not penetrate.

If frustration was tangible she would have several hands full of it. Leo ate merrily, conversing back and forth with Nicholas. The two of them had been getting along splendidly. Almost as if she weren't there at all.

She grit her teeth before stomping her foot down on top of Leo's. He winced, damn near biting his tongue on the reflexive impact.

He snapped his head in her direction, an eye brow raised and irritating in his eyes. He leaned toward her, "What on earth did I do to deserve that?"

"Nothing!" She snapped before giving her attention back to her bowl, using the spoon to stir around the contents.

The dinning room table of the inn they currently occupying was rather full with guests. Many of which were heading to hunting parties, to vacation from the cities and escape many of the engagements of the ton.

Lafayette let her eyes trail toward Nicholas. Beside him sat a pretty brunette. She was slightly chubby, her cheeks pink, her lashes long. Every so often she would lean toward Nicholas and whisper, evoking a smile from him or a chuckle.

She dropped spoon into the soup. Unable to watch a minute more of the flirting. She waved over a servant, taking the glass of wine offered. She drank it rather quickly, causing others around her to glance at her.

She reached for another but Leo snatched it from her. Smiling at the servant calmly before dismissing him.  He took a sip from the glass, giving her a tight grin.

"Dear cousin, if I didn't know better I'd think you were going through a crisis of some sort."

Lafayette huffed. "It's nothing I can't handle."

Leo chuckled, "Really? So, getting yourself drunk is a part of your plan? Do tell."

The look she gave him was so icy he threw his head back and laughed. The sound of it had the entire table glancing in their direction.

An older gentleman, dressed quite expensively, piped in, "You two look amused. An old man like myself, right enjoys, a good joke."

Leo grinned, "Well my sweet cousin, is being heavily pursued by suitors, you know."

The old man looked at Lafayette before nodding appreciatively. "Beautiful gal, indeed."

"Ah, isn't she! But the problem sir, is that she is rather cowed at handling love matches."

Lafayette gasped at his words, turning to stare at him openly. "Leo!"

The old man laughed, wagging a finger. "Always go for the one who makes you laugh."

"Excellent advice! Faye, do any of them make you laugh?"

She grit her teeth, feelings eyes on her. She caught Nicholas looking, his gaze intense. She cleared her throat. "Actually, none of them are up to par."

Nicholas made a face at her words, clearing his throat as he reached for his drink.

The old man nodded before snapping his finger. "I have a grandson your age. Quite handsome, we're headed north to hunt for the season."

Leo gave her a pat on the shoulder. "Amazing! Quite the coincidence considering my beautiful cousin is on the marriage market. And something else wild? We're headed north as well!"

Nicholas openly began to choke on his food at Leo's words. Leaning over his plate in an attempt to catch his breath.

Leo smirked before continuing, "We should be riding companions. I'm Faye's guardian after all. I quite approve. Don't you, Faye?"

The stared at each other for a moment, the tension growing thick. She knew it was not proper etiquette to say no. She grit her teeth, forcing a smile, "Why, that would be lovely. I'd love to meet him. Oh, but only if it's alright with Sir Anderton."

All eyes fell on Nicholas as he gulped down the last of his wine. His entire face was red. He sighed, "I don't see a problem. We're heading in the same direction after all."

The old man let out a jovial laugh, "Aye, perfect! You'll meet my grandson on the morn. This will be a wonderful trip together. A love match always surely happen."

------

Nicholas had zoned out after the declaration of added members to the trip. He wouldn't have cared at all if Lafayette hadn't been the topic of discussion. He did not like the idea of watching another man court her. His aunt's estate was still at least three more days worth of traveling. That meant three days of this other man potentially swaying Faye into marriage.

Three days of watching her shine her brilliant smile at someone else. Three days of hearing her soft voice banter with another.

He leaned down, rubbing his forehead, suddenly conscious of a growing ache. He stood, excusing himself from the table. "I must call it a night."

Everyone at the table wished him off except for Lafayette. Her brown eyes were staring at him. So intent it felt as if she were gazing past his skin.

He quickly excited the dinning hall and nearly ran to the rounding staircase. It didn't take long before he heard the clacking of heels behind him.

His grit his teeth before stopping, turning to meet Faye head on.

"Are you alright? You don't look well."

He tsked. Was he alright? Of course not! The whole point of this excursion was to get away from her. To cool down and hopefully forget the passion he felt whenever she was around.

"What are you trying to pull?"

She frowned. Crossing her arms. "Excuse me?"

He turned, marching up the rest of the stairs and heading for his room. Lafayette followed behind him, briskly standing in front of his door so he couldn't open it.

"Say whatever it is that ails you. You can't run away from everything."

"Don't pretend as if I have a choice!"

She pointed a finger at him, "You do have a choice! No one is holding you hostage!"

They looked at each other for a long moment before she scoffed, moving to walk away.

He grabbed her by the arm, pulling her back. "Don't do this. Go home forget about me. About this silly notion of us being anything."

She tried to tank away but to no avail. "I do not run from my problems. We can't all be cowards, Nicholas."

Her words stung. He let her go and she stumbled slightly. "I get it. You don't want me. I suppose I had to learn the hard way. Don't you worry, I'll probably be engaged by the end of this bloody trip!"

He grabbed her one more, pulling her against his chest. His lips met hers and melted. Wrapping her arms his neck, pressing completely against him. He ran his hands up and down her back before tensing.

He pushed her away, knocking himself into his inn door.

She was breathing hard, her lips parted and gleaming. She took a step toward him but he stopped her. "Good night, Lafayette."

She flinched as if he had hit her before raising her chin. She clutched her dress in her hands before whispering, "Good night," and swiftly heading toward her room.

He walked into his own and slammed the door behind him. The woman was an utter temptation. How was he going to survive this blasted journey!