Chapter 1

Nicholas Anderton was a kind man. Quite talkative and anyone who knew him, knew that he was always laughing. He was handsome at the age of forty and was frequently told so. He was tall, around six three and managed to tower over most men and women alike. His hair was a brown that, sometimes, with the right lighting, had an auburn glow to it. He adorned a light stubble that gave him a roguish quality and one dimple in his right cheek. His eyes were a dark forest green and his lashes were long and tended to give his eyes a romantic appeal. He was broad shouldered, and husky in a muscular kind of way.

He had met Andrew Hugh at the ripe age of seventeen and had been best friends with him ever since.

But, any and everyone, every member of the Hugh family most definitely included, knew that Nicholas had a terrible flaw. He was seemingly oblivious. Dense.

There was nothing in all of London denser than he. Or all of the England for that matter.

He climbed from his carriage and walked over to the door of Andrew's estate before knocking lightly. He had, as was a regular occurence, been invited to dinner. He was prone to get on Hany's nerves, and with Hany being Hany, she had told him so, and Andrew as well, on numerous occasions, but she did so enjoy the compliments he gave while he ate her food.

The door flew open and instead of one of the maids greeting him he was surprised to find one of the twins. Which one? He hadn't the slightest clue.

He smiled softly, "Hello? Forgive me but, which one are you?" And that was another flaw, speaking before he thought it over.

Lafayette resisted the urge to scream at the man! She had been the one answering the door during every get together that she knew he was to attend and yet the man still had the audacity to not be able to tell? She was the one that looked at him with pure adoration in her eyes not Angel! Angel barely noticed any man other than her husband.

She grit her teeth in utter exasperation, questioning why she had any feelings for the ass at all! She released a pent up breath of air and smiled softly in return.

"I'm the one that's currently unmarried," she said sweetly, fluttering her lashes in his direction.

He tilted his head, his smile still in place, "Hmm," he mumbled as if he couldn't quite remember which one of them wasn't married. And then as if a light bulb had gone off, he snapped his fingers, "Lafayette! Ah, good evening, darling."

The excitement in his voice and huge grin on his lips seemed to completely dissolve her irritation. His green eyes sparkled in her direction, amusement in them, his dimple sank, giving him a boyish quality. She melted, sighing dreamily.

"Are you going to let me in?" He suddenly asked. That very question seemed to snap her out of her daze and she stepped back, allowing him to step inside.

She put her hand out, offering to take his coat. He shrugged it off and handed it to her, their fingers brushing ever so slightly. Her heart thundered in her chest and she wondered if he felt anything at all.

The blank look on his handsome said otherwise. She sighed, hung his coat and urged him to the dining hall.

He walked with a silent confidence, a friendly stance.

She cleared her throat, "Nicholas?"

He looked down at her, his smile still planted on his face.

"Are you," she cleared her throat, "thinking about marriage? Do you want children? If so, how many?"

He tilted his head as if thinking about it, "I don't guess it's crossed my mind a time or two. I suppose I'm not getting any younger, love."

She nodded her agreement, "Oh, I completely agree. It doesn't cross my mind very much either, except for when you come around."

He chuckled at that, waving off how obvious her words were, "Why ever would you think of marriage when I'm around?"

Before she could comment they made it to the table and everyone greeted Nicholas. She wanted to tear her hair out! The man was insufferably stupid! She had basically admitted to wanting to marry the man and it had completely exploded in his ears! She contained her silent exasperation and sat down.

------------

Nicholas laughed at something Andrew had said, clutching at his abdomen. "You're still holding onto that sense of humor, old boy."

Andrew tsked, raising his night cap to his lips, "Old? You bugger, take that back. There's not an old bone in my body. I'm only a few years older than you."

"No need to get so touchy. That is a sign of old age, you know?"

Andrew made a fist as if to hit Nicholas but didn't, he smirked instead, laughter on his lips. "My wife would disagree."

Nicholas made a face, "I'm sure Hany would if she were here. You know she enjoys to rile you up."

Andrew smiled wistfully, happiness on his face. "She does, doesn't she? But I do adore the woman. And while we're on the subject, when in God's name are you going to marry?"

Nicholas burst out laughing, the faint feeling of deja vu hitting him only made the situation more humorous to him. "This has been coming up a lot lately."

"As it should. You should find someone and settle down, Nick. I know you're lonely, you can't hide behind your humor forever, you bloody fool."

Nicholas visibly reddened, shrugging his shoulder. He downed the rest of his night cap and placed the glass on Andrew's desk. "I don't need you to tell me that."

"Yes you do. You need someone to tell you the truth."

Nicholas sighed, "Your concern, isn't necessary."

"Isn't it?"

"It isn't. Besides, I agree with you." He leaned backed against the desk, "After seeing you so happy over the years, the thought of settling down has warmed on me."

Andrew grinned, "Good, God, why didn't you say so earlier, you cad?"

"I would have been married if someone," he cleared his throat pointedly, "hadn't laid claim to Hany. I specifically remember you telling me that she was old and hideous."

Andrew bristled and yet blushed as well, "Let it go, Nicholas. Hany would have murdered you by now, you know she finds you rather annoying. And she's mine, always has been."

Nicholas, as always, laughed.