Chapter 22

The next few days went by as if Lafayette were stuck in a horrible day dream. They received wedding gifts from friends of Pearl.

And Aunt Pearl was a lover of celebrations, so each night for several days she continued to celebrate the marriage of her only nephew. But the fake smiles, and all of the happiness was beginning to make Lafayette weary. 

She did not know how much longer she could put up with it. She avoided Nicholas as much as possible, only interacting with him when she had no choice. If he wished to be free of her, she would make it as if she were not there.

Upon day five, she could take no more. She hiked up her skirts and made quick steps to Pearl's lounge. Aunt Pearl was nestled in a cushioned chair, a glass of wine to her right and her hands embroidering with efficiency.  

Lafayette walked in and gently closed the door behind her. "Pearl?"

Pearl looked up, a sweet smile on her face and a twinkle in her eye. Lafayette noticed that look often, and it made her feel as if she were being looked right through. 

"Hello, darling. Or shall I say niece!" She beamed as she sat down her project. "Do come sit."

Lafayette took a deep breath, willing herself to say what she must. "I have something I'd like to discuss with you."

Pearl raised a brow but still encourage Lafayette to sit near her. Lafayette sat in the closest seat to her, near enough for Pearl to reach over and grab her hand.

She swallowed, her mouth suddenly dry.

Pearl gave her a knowing look before scooting closer, giving Lafayette's hand a kind, yet firm squeeze. "Don't worry darling, you need not struggle with the words. I know."

Confusion crossed Lafayette's mind. "You know?"

"Why, of course, I know a woman with child when I see one."

Lafayette paled. Her tongue truly lodged in her throat. This had not been the manor in which she had come to discuss. She had merely come to ask for the celebrations to end, for she could not deal with another night of the faking. But this? This!

She leaned back in her seat, suddenly feeling faint. "Oh, so you know..."

Pearl smiled softly, "When I was your age, I had a glow about me and hysteria was well within my realm. I recognize it now, almost immediately!"

Embarrassment filled her body and then she was sobbing uncontrollably. Aunt Pearl sat up, gently fussing over her. "No need to cry, my dear! Passion has its way of beating us to the alter from time to time. I'm quite excited for grand niece or nephew. Babies toddling around the place is rather refreshing."

Lafayette cried even more, the image of a happy family in mind awash with what she knew her future to be. "No, there will be no more babies!" She cried as she stood, covering her face with her hands.

Aunt Pearl gasped, standing as well. "What on earth do you mean? Are you well? Is my nephew hurt?"

"He will not touch me! He does not love me, he said we will have a marriage in name and nothing more. This will be the only child I have," she said as she placed her hands on her stomach.

Pearl scoffed, "And you believe such things?"

Lafayette turned to face her, sniffling softly. 

"I have known my nephew for his entire life. I can assure you I've never seen him look at anyone the way that he stares at you. His eyes follow you where ever you go. Never touch you again, he said? Bah! To the devil with the idea of such nonsense."

Pearl sighed before patting her arm, "Wipe those tears and come sit. I obviously have much to learn."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lafayette left Aunt Pearl's lounge with a renewed feeling of comfort. She hadn't expected this turn of events but a part of her was now feeling less confined to her woes. 

Pearl had blanched at the tale of Nicholas's obliviousness, tsking unhappily as she commented, "What a bloody fool! This is a trait he got from his father, surely it was not from my sister!"

The laughter her words had evoked brought her the first bit of enjoyment she had found here. She rubbed her stomach, finding that is was still the same as it had always been. But she knew in a few months time, her stomach would truly show what lie within her.

Pearl had promised to not throw another party, and had told her quite confidently, "Need not worry, niece. He will come around. When my Thomas was alive, we would spat and he would swear to never even look in my direction again, but he could not fight his desires. Nicholas is no different. He may pretend he does not want you but where you go, he goes. And that kind of devotion, though silent, can not be hidden away. Not for long."

Lafayette nibbled her bottom lip, her mind racing. Those words had been encouraging but Nicholas had played with her heart enough. She would not hope. 

She could not endure the pain of disappointment again. Not from him. Not when she still longed for him so badly. 

She sighed, placing a hand on her hip. She took a deep breath, deciding that she wouldn't give this any more of her thought today. 

She walked along the quiet hallway, passing by the occasional maid. The sunshine was bright through the windows. She stopped, moving toward the large paneled window on the far end of the hall. She moved the curtains aside, peering out onto the day. A gentle wind moved through the trees and suddenly she felt a calm she hadn't felt in a while. 

She released the curtain and turned on her heels, headed back down the hall. She hefted her skirt and headed for the stairs. She needed a distraction, and it was a perfect day to go riding.