3. The Great Outdoors

"Now you're sure you have everything?" asked Christa.

"Yes," answered Clementine as she moved next to Omid.

"You have your gun right?"

"Yeah, it's in my backpack."

"You sure you don't want to keep a gun here?" asked Omid.

"I'll be fine. I want to be sure both of you can protect yourselves while you're out there," explained Christa. "Besides, Clementine might have to bail you out."

"Hey, I'm every bit as capable as a nine year old," said Omid with a smirk. "Maybe a little more even."

"Just be careful."

"Come on, you're acting like I don't do this every day."

"Not with Clementine you don't," said Christa.

"I'll be careful," promised Clementine.

"Yeah, come on Christa. We'll be fine," assured Omid. "You stop worrying Clem so much, and she might actually have a little fun on this trip."

Christa looked at the pair and smiled. "All right, you two take care of each other."

"We will." Clementine nodded at Christa, then started following Omid into the forest. As the pair continued into the woods, Clementine briefly looked back and saw Christa waving goodbye to her just before disappearing from view. Clem looked up at Omid as they trekked forward.

"We've got quite the walk ahead of us, so I'd recommend taking advantage of one of the few perks of living in the woods and enjoy the view." Clem heeded Omid's advice and took in her surroundings. It was a little cloudy and kind of cool out, but mostly a pleasant day. The trees were bare, creating a sprawling mess of branches that obscured the sunrise. The dirt was hard from the cold, dotted with small traces of plant life that had survived the winter. The forest was also dead quiet. Clementine couldn't hear any insects or birds in the distance, and even the wind seemed remarkably restrained today. All in all, not a particularly uplifting sight for the troubled young girl.

"Sorry again about the fight," said Omid. "I guess being cooped up all this time is getting to us. But still, we shouldn't have done that."

"It's okay," shrugged Clementine.

"Oh no, totally not okay," insisted Omid. "You file away that incident for later use. Consider it your own personal get out of jail free card next time Christa or yours truly is going on about something you don't like."

"Um, okay."

"In fact, you can even yell at me if you want," suggested Omid in a playful manner.

"That's okay."

"You sure? It usually makes Christa feel better when she's upset."

"I don't want any more yelling."

"Yeah, I guess Christa and I did enough of that to last you for a while," realized Omid. "You know, Christa was serious when she said if you can think of anything you need, just name it."

"I know. I just can't think of anything."

"Really, nothing?"

"Nothing you could give me." Omid couldn't help but notice the dejected tone of Clem's voice as she told him that. He looked down at the girl and noted the grim expression on her face.

"Well, maybe you should tell us things you don't think we can get you then," suggested Omid.

"Why?" asked Clem.

"Because, we might surprise you. We are taking a trip to pick up some things soon. You never know what might turn up."

"I don't know."