43. The Ensigns of Command

"But we're not even growing potatoes yet," whined Bridget. "Why should we care about what happened to some stupid farmers over a hundred years ago?"

"Why should we care about anything that happened before the creeps showed up?" added Matt. "None of that stuff matters now."

"Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it," lectured Gene. "That's not just a clever quote, all of you can avoid a lot of problems if you take the time to learn from other people's tribulations. On the most personal level, this is your parents or family, or teacher even, telling you things they learned so you don't have to learn them the hard way. Looking at history as a whole, it can help you to gain perspective on the world."

"So what perspective are we getting here?" asked Mick. "Don't grow potatoes in Ireland?"

"We're talking about the Great Famine today because it demonstrates just how massive an impact food has on us all. Food is a basic need we all have, and if it can't be satisfied, society breaks down, as some of you may have seen outside these walls."

"Things can go wrong even if you have food," argued Clem. "People fight over other things too."

"Yes, but not until they've eaten," retorted Gene. "You don't worry about other problems until your most basic needs are satisfied first."

"Mr. Spiegel, come in." Gene grabbed his radio.

"Go head Maude," answered Gene.

"Byron is here," reported Maude. "He claims you instructed him to bring the man named Walter here."

"That's right," said Gene. "Send them in." Clem watched as the doors swung open. A confused Walter walked into the classroom, Byron following right behind him.

"Good morning," greeted Gene. "I'm Eugene Spiegel."

"Walter DeWitt." Walter shook Gene's hand. "I'm guessing this is the class I've been hearing about."

"I've heard a little about you as well," noted Gene. "Clementine said you used to be a teacher."

"Is that why I'm here?" asked Walter. "You want me to teach a class?"

"Actually I've been told you're not happy with the way we run things," said Gene. "And I thought it might be informative to the class if I address some of your concerns right here today."

"You're here to address my concerns?" asked a dubious Walter.

"From what I've heard, you sound like a civil man. I figured a frank conversation might help ease your mind a little." Gene turned to the class. "And seeing as some of them might share your concerns, I thought it would be productive to let them participate in this conversation."

"And if I say no?" asked Walter.

"Well, Byron can take you back to do regular work." Walter stared at Gene, assessing the man. "Well, would you like to talk about some of your issues you have with staying here?"

"I think I would," said Walter. "Let's start with the fact I'm staying here at all."

"You want to leave?" assumed Gene.

"Yes, and it's absurd that I can't."

"You do realize just how dangerous the world is right now?"

"Are you suggesting you won't let me leave purely for my own benefit?"

"Well, these are very dire times. I can't predict the future, but you likely would be better in here than out there."

"You are..." Gene turned to Adam.