11. A House Divided

The last three days had felt like weeks for Clementine, being mostly trapped in a single room with nothing to do from dawn till dusk. What little she had before to pass the time was now kept in the same room as Sarah, and Clementine didn't dare ask her father for any of it back. Other than occasionally gazing out the window, she simply resigned herself to sleeping the hours away like Christa had been doing.

Christa herself had become incredibly quiet since Omid's burial, rarely saying more than a few words to Clementine, if anything at all. She almost never left her bed and Clem was even worried Christa would stop eating if she didn't bring her meals up to the bedroom.

Their new 'guests' had kept their word, providing Clem and Christa with enough to eat and drink each day. It was mostly fish, much like before, but the portions provided were a little greater than what Clem was used to and instead of just mushrooms there were roots and other bits of plants as well. It wasn't much, but since it was the only time Clem got to leave the bedroom, it was all she really looked forward to at the moment.

Rolling out of bed, Clem was greeted by the familiar sight of the morning sun pouring in through the window, as well as the sight of Christa's back as she lay in bed. As Clem put her shoes and hat on, she watched Christa for any sign of movement. She knew the loss of Omid had been devastating, but with each passing day Clementine was becoming more convinced that Christa never wanted to get out of bed again.

"Um..." spoke Clem in a quiet voice. "I'll get breakfast. Okay?"

"Don't forget your antibiotic," spoke a disinterested Christa. Clem moved over to the first aid kit and removed a pill from the bottle inside.

"Christa, what are we going to do when they leave?" Clem waited for an answer, but Christa said nothing. "I mean, do you still want to get things to bring back to the cabin? Or, should we just go somewhere else?" Again, Clem received no answer. "Christa, say something," pleaded Clementine.

"...should've stayed." Was all Clem could hear Christa say.

"What?" asked Clem.

"Nothing." Clem just sighed and stepped out into the hall. She was hoping she'd get used to taking pills, but once again she found herself struggling to swallow one. She was however starting to understand why her dad called things that annoyed him, a pill. As Clementine moved down the stairs she could hear a couple of familiar voices coming from the kitchen.

"Oh, fish again?" asked a disappointed Sarah.

"We're roughing it Sarah," spoke Pete. "Be grateful we have that."

"I am, it's just, I miss the meals we got back home."

"Sarah, I told you, we're going to a new home," explained Carlos. "Now eat your breakfast. You're a growing girl."

"I will." Clementine stepped into the kitchen, finding Carlos and Sarah eating while Pete and Nick fiddled with something that looked like a cone made out of sticks and strips of tree bark. Clem found her way to a couple of plates set out for her and Christa. As she reached for a fork she noticed Sarah was smiling at her from across the table.

"Hi," greeted Sarah in a friendly voice. "I'm—"

"Sarah, what did I tell you about talking to the cabin's owners?" asked Carlos.

"I was just saying hi," explained an apologetic Sarah.

"Clementine and her mother were very generous to let us stay here." Clementine had to stifle the urge to groan out loud in response to Carlos's blatant lie. "The least you can do is not bother them."

"Your name is Clementine?" asked Sarah.

"Sarah, what did I just say?"

"I'm... I'm sorry."