51. Urges

Clementine rushed through the rain, Harry right behind her. Nearing the pen, Clem spotted Byron waiting by the entrance, an umbrella in hand.

"Here, get in close," he instructed as Clem reached the gate. "I got her." Harry left without a word.

"How come we don't get umbrellas, or raincoats?" asked a soaked Clementine as she shook the rain off her sleeves.

"Hector put some towels in the pen." Byron could see Clem wasn't happy with that answer. "Like I said, I just work here." Byron looked past Clem. "Where's Sarah?"

"She got in trouble with Dr. Bostwick," explained Clem.

"What'd she do?"

"She knocked over a flower by accident and broke the pot."

"She grows flowers?" asked Byron in surprise. "I thought she was supposed to be growing us more food?"

"She mostly is. I think she said the flowers are for attracting bees, or was it getting rid of bad bugs?" Clem looked up at Byron. "Are you going to be watching the pen all night?"

"Until everyone gets back and Edmund brings dinner," answered Byron. "Why?"

"Just wondering," said Clem. "Is anyone else in there?"

"Just the brothers and Adam. Here, put your arms up so you can keep the umbrella over me." Byron flinched as he handed the umbrella to Clementine. "I'll be quick. I don't like this anymore than you do." Byron quickly patted Clem down, then stood up, rubbing his right shoulder.

"What happened to your arm?" asked Clem as she handed the umbrella back.

"Nothing," snapped Byron.

"I was just asking."

"Well don't."

Clem's eyes narrowed. "Do you think Walter is okay?" said Clem, more accusing than asking.

"He was fine the last time I saw him. After that is his problem," answered an annoyed Byron. "Away from the door." Byron unlatched the gate and let Clementine inside. She saw the towels Byron mentioned and immediately grabbed one. As she dried herself off, she could hear Matt talking with Mick.

"I don't care how big a bitch she is," said Matt. "Bridget is smoking hot. I would kill to get my hands on her."

"Ehh, I'd take Sarah over Bridget any day," answered Mick.

"You're insane."

"I don't dig chicks with attitude."

"Is that why you don't like Consuelo?" asked Matt. "Cause she's kinda hot and—"

"Stay away from her." Clem looked over at Mick. He seemed oddly disturbed at the mere mention of Consuelo.

"Okay, yeesh," spoke a confused Matt. "Never get why she gets you all worked up."

"Well she does, so just drop it."

"Okay, okay. But still, you're crazy to say you'd pick Sarah over Bridget."

"You're crazy to think you'd have any chance with Bridget."

"Not as crazy as you are for even thinking about Sarah. The only reason you're even considering her, at all, is she's literally one of only two girls close to our age here. Probably in the world really."

"Yeah, well, that counts for a lot these days."

"Yeah, well, if Sarah was my only choice, I'd rather choose Clementine." Clem found herself growing irritated by the brother's conversation.