42. Missed Connections

Clem marched with Sarah back towards the entrance to the pen, the walls of the yard casting long shadows over everything in the waning daylight. Byron followed right behind them. He had guided the girls through cleaning some larger guns while explaining different ammo types and sizes, but otherwise had been mostly quiet, as if constantly lost in thought.

Nearing the pen, Clem noticed a thin older man with gray hair standing watch. He looked fairly harmless compared to some of the other members of the crew she had encountered.

"Hey Lloyd," called Byron.

"Byron." Clem was surprised to hear the man had a very high-pitched voice.

"Is there a, Walter was it?" Clem nodded at Byron. "Yeah, is Walter in there?"

"Nah, I think he's still with Hector in the warehouse, along with Harry and the pregnant lady," informed Lloyd as he stood up. "You want me to call and check?"

"Nah. Hector just let us out of the armory, I'll go catch up with him myself." Byron left Sarah and Clem with Lloyd.

"All right, stay away from the door y'all," instructed Lloyd in a friendly voice. "Arms out darling." Sarah shuddered as Lloyd frisked her. "You're good, go on in." Clem noticed Lloyd's smile grew wider as she stepped in front of him.

"Aren't you just the most precious little thing," said Lloyd in a sweet voice. Clem held her arms out, and felt her skin crawl as Lloyd's hands moved down her sides. She didn't like strangers touching her, and Lloyd seemed to have an oddly firm grip. Clem breathed a sigh of relief as Lloyd finally reached her ankles and let go of her.

"My girl, you're nothing but skin and bones," observed Lloyd, sounding worried for Clem.

"Well maybe you should feed us more," quipped Clem.

"I could get something for you if you're hungry," suggested Lloyd with smile.

"Really?" asked Clem. "Wait, would I have to kill someone, or hurt someone first?"

"Of course not," assured Lloyd. "Wouldn't have to hurt no one darling."

"Um... I'm okay," assured Clem.

"Well, if you change your mind, just ask for Lloyd." Clem stepped into the pen. Mick and Matt were talking in the corner, while Nick was sitting alone in the opposite corner. Clem decided to move towards where Sarah was sitting near her father.

"I want you to stay away from those boys," Carlos told Sarah.

"But why?" asked Sarah. "Mick likes me."

"I just want you to stay away from them," repeated Carlos.

"You said the same thing about Clementine," argued Sarah. "And now she's my best friend." Even though Clem knew there wasn't much competition for that title, she couldn't stop herself from smiling upon hearing the words 'best friend.'

"Well..." Carlos tried to think of a rationale. "I didn't know Clementine then. Now I do and know she treats you right. I don't want you going near those boys until I know they'll do the same." Clem found it odd to hear Carlos say something good about her, and even odder it made Clem feel a little better.

"Away from the door everybody." Clem looked over to see Lloyd searching Christa. She looked annoyed, but soon smiled as she saw Clem waiting for her inside.

"How you doing today sweetie?" asked Christa as she sat down.

"Good," answered Clem with a smile.

"Good?" asked Christa in surprise.

"Well, you know, as good as I can be right now," explained Clem.