31. The First Day

Clementine opened her eyes. It was morning now. Looking around she could see that Mick boy was already awake. Clem tried to sit up, but couldn't. She looked down and noticed Sarah's arms wrapped around her. Listening closely she could hear Sarah breathing and assumed she was still asleep. Clem carefully shifted one of her arms free of Sarah's grasp. She then gently tried to pry Sarah's hands away, when Sarah suddenly pulled Clementine closer.

Rolling over, Clem found herself face to face with a still mostly asleep Sarah. Trying to wriggle free, Clem discovered Sarah had an unusually strong grip. Looking more closely at Sarah's face, Clem couldn't help noticing that even while sleeping she still looked worried.

"Sarah?" Clem watched as Sarah's eyes slid open slightly. "Um, hi," greeted an awkward Clem. "Could you let me go?" Sarah's eyes popped open when she realized where her arms were.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry," apologized an embarrassed Sarah as she hastily released Clem. "I didn't mean to. I—"

"Sarah, it's fine," assured Clem. "I just wanted to sit up. That's all." Clem reached under the bed and retrieved her hat. She handed Sarah her glasses back and put the hat on, then reached down for her shoes next. Clem wrinkled her nose, realizing the cotton was still in it. She pulled the pieces out and tossed them aside, relieved she could literally breathe a little easier.

"She dead?" Clem looked over to see Mick's brother, Matt, hovering over Felicity. He had short dark hair and didn't look much taller than Clementine herself.

"Nah, she's coming around." Mick undid Felicity's restraints, allowing her to sit up. Looking at the woman in the light, Clem was shocked to see the misery hanging off her sickly face, as if she was dying.

"My dad's still not here," realized a troubled Sarah as she scanned the area.

"Neither is Nick," noted Clementine.

"Is he ever coming back?" wondered Sarah out loud.

"It'll be okay. He's probably just... busy." This answer didn't seem to ease Sarah's mind. "You okay?"

"I don't know, maybe," shrugged a nervous Sarah. "I... I kinda need to go to the bathroom though."

"Yeah, me too." Clem looked at the small crude wooden closet built in the corner. Wandering over to it, Clem found an open door and peered inside. In the middle of the area was a stool with a hole cut in it, a toilet seat crudely attached to it and a metal bucket underneath it. There were only three wooden walls, the fourth wall was just a section of the fence with a tear in it that allowed some crude chute to poke through.

"Gross," commented Sarah as she looked over Clem's shoulder.

"Yeah, but it's all you get until lunch," informed Mick as he approached Clem and Sarah. "They don't give us bathroom breaks. Matt found that out the hard way."

"Don't tell them that!" exclaimed Matt.

"Just make sure you empty the bucket through the hole in the wall when you're done." Matt left Clem and Sarah to look on in disgust at their only bathroom. Clem sighed and stepped inside. She closed the door, noting it had no lock, and tried to hurry. The worst part was emptying the bucket. Clem didn't even want to think about where that chute went. Opening the door, Clem found Sarah waiting nervously outside.

"Just try to get it over with real quick," suggested an uncomfortable Clem as she moved towards where Christa was sitting.

"You okay Clem?" asked Christa.

"Not really," admitted Clem. "I don't like this place."

"Yeah, me neither. I remember when we first found the cabin, I thought to myself, I wish we had found somewhere with a better bed," grumbled Christa as she rubbed her back. "Do anything to get back there right now."