27. In Harm's Way

Clementine listened closely as the truck slowed to a stop. She could hear a couple of distant voices from outside and some sort of loud metal creaking. The truck started moving forward only to stop again suddenly. More voices sounded from outside, as well as footsteps, leading Clem to believe the vehicle was being surrounded. A bright light shined through the cracks in the truck door, giving Clem her first glimpse of the surrounding area.

It was still dark, but she could see a pair of people right across from her, which may have been Sarah and Carlos. There were also stacks of supplies piled up all around the vehicle, as well as a couple of figures in the very back. Looking at one of the boxes illuminated by the sliver of light, Clem recognized a familiar looking tin labeled 'powdered milk'.

Clem tightened her grip on Christa's hands as she heard a loud rattling noise from the door. There was a final loud clank before the door rolled up, flooding the area with light. Clementine found herself blinded at first, but as her eyes adjusted she could see a pair of floodlights aimed at the truck, and a row of people with guns standing just outside.

"All right. The woman and the girl first." Clementine tried to see who was speaking, but the lights made it hard to make out their faces.

"You two deaf? Get over here!" called an angry woman.

"Just do what they say Clem," cautioned Christa as calmly as she could. Clementine struggled to stand without the use of her hands, then slowly approached the edge of the truck. No sooner had she reached the door than she found a set of powerful hands grabbing her from under her armpits. After being set on the ground, the small girl looked over to find a pair of men hoisting Christa off the truck in a similar manner. Clem turned to Christa and was relieved to see she looked unharmed, but upon making eye contact with the woman Christa suddenly appeared shocked.

"Dear God!" exclaimed Christa to Clem.

"What?"

"Move forward," interrupted a fairly athletic looking man in a red shirt. "Both of you." Clem nervously took a few steps forward then stopped to see the same vicious woman from earlier, Consuelo, standing in front of her. Clem was surprised to watch the woman's hands go right for her armpits. Consuelo's bandaged wound smeared flecks of blood on Clem's clothes as she moved down the girl's sides.

Clementine felt her skin crawl as Consuelo's hands slid down her waist and past her thighs, forcefully squeezing the girl to the point of being painful as they moved towards her ankles. Clem felt a chill shoot up her spine as Consuelo briefly grabbed her between her legs before moving behind the girl and reaching into her pant's back pockets.

"Open your mouth!" Clem was too scared to ask why and simply did as she was told. Consuelo grabbed a flashlight and shined it right in Clem's face. She felt the woman's fingers yanking at her jaw briefly before releasing her. Consuelo then pulled off Clem's hat, quickly checked inside of it, then tossed it onto the pavement.

"Wait, my hat—ah!" Consuelo slapped Clem with such force it knocked the small girl face first into the pavement. Fearing she'd be beaten further, Clem bit her lip in a desperate attempt to not cry out from the sting of the slap or the painful throbbing from hitting her head on the hard ground.

"What the hell are you doing!" Clem heard Christa yell out.

"Tom, you want to shut that mouthy bitch up?" Clem felt someone grab her by the wrists and drag her across the pavement.

"You're the one riling her up," commented a man, presumably Tom.

"I'm keeping people in line, you limp dick faggot!" Clem felt herself being tossed into the side of a metal wall.