46. All Good Things

"That was really cool," said Sarah.

"Really? I thought it was kinda boring," shrugged Clementine.

"You didn't think it was interesting how the truck works?"

"Not really. I kinda lost track of what he was saying when he started talking about the fuel filters."

"So, you didn't hear the part about him teaching the class how to drive the day after tomorrow?" teased Sarah.

"No, I heard that," assured an eager Clem. "I can't wait to try that."

"Yeah, that's gonna be so cool. I wonder—"

"Hey! How bout you two chatterboxes give it a rest for the night?" griped Richard, the bearded middle-aged man escorting them to the pen.

"I'm sorry," apologized Sarah.

"Don't be sorry, be quiet already," ordered Richard in a biting tone. "You damn kids going on about every stupid little thing. Not enough we have to feed you and hold your damn hands, I gotta listen to your mindless prattling on too?" Clem thought back to something Byron told her and realized he was right; this guy was a dick. As they neared the pen, Clem tensed up as she noticed Consuelo's face in the dim lantern light.

"Here, these two gossips are your problem now," grumbled Richard as he left Clem and Sarah in front of Consuelo. "You deal with them."

"I got it, Dick." Consuelo stood up and approached the girls, her hateful stare cutting right through Clem, filling her with terror. "Well shithead, you gonna put your arms out or am I gonna have to do that for you?" Clem held her arms out and immediately felt Consuelo's hands on her. Her grip was so tight it was actually painful, as if the woman was trying to stab Clem with her fingertips.

"Seeing as I only have one thumb, I'm thinking you'd better turn around so I can check you from behind." Clem reluctantly turned around and once again felt Consuelo's forceful grip digging into her sides. As she was searched again, Clem looked over at Sarah, who was clearly disturbed by what was happening. Consuelo snatched Clem's hat off her head. Turning around, Clem saw the woman looking inside it.

"Well, I guess you're clean," concluded Consuelo in a spiteful tone. "Except for that spot on your face."

"What—" Consuelo spit on Clementine, causing the small girl to flinch as the disgusting phlegm hit her face.

"Why are you—" Consuelo turned to Sarah in a flash, paralyzing the girl with her gaze.

"Clean yourself up you piece of shit." Consuelo tossed Clem's hat at the girl as hard as she could. "And you." Consuelo gestured at Sarah. "Get over here." A very nervous Sarah stepped forward and held her arms out. Clem watched in disgust as Consuelo's hands moved down Sarah's sides. "Wait, what the fuck is this?" Consuelo stuck her hand into Sarah's pocket and pulled out a screwdriver.

"Oh, Ed gave me—"

"He gave you this?" repeated an angry Consuelo as she brandished the screwdriver in front of Sarah's face.

"I mean, he told me to hold it for him and—ah!" Consuelo grabbed Sarah's hair and pulled her closer.

"I don't want your excuses you thieving beaner!"

"She didn't steal it! He just—" Something that felt like a brick dropped right on top of Clem's head, knocking her painfully into the ground.

"Clementine! Don't—ah!" Clem heard Sarah cry out in pain.

"What the fuck are you doing?" Clem heard Christa yell as she tried to stand up.

"You unhand her!" demanded Carlos. "Or—"