78. Saint Christopher's

The doorknob was still now, but there was no doubt in the young girl's mind, someone had just tried to come in. Clementine drew her gun and stood up.

"What are you doing?" whispered Christa.

"I'll go check it out," asserted Clem.

"No, Clem—"

"If it's someone bad, they might attack Sarah and Nick when they get back."

Christa sighed. "Okay, but get your raincoat, in case there's any walkers in here." Clementine put her raincoat on, then picked up her axe and hoisted it onto her back. She opted to leave the backpack for now and headed for the door. "Take the lantern too." Clementine grabbed the lantern and hooked it onto her belt loop. "If there are walkers, try not to shoot if you can help it. Even if the herd is gone there's probably a lot still in the area."

"Got it." Clem moved to the door.

"And if it is Matt. I wouldn't give him a chance," warned Christa in a harsh tone.

"I won't," assured Clem in an equally harsh tone. Clementine aimed her gun at the door while Christa stretched out her arm and reached for the lock. With a couple of quick motions, Christa unlocked the door and pulled it wide open.

Clementine kept her gun aimed ahead, waiting for any sign of danger. Seeing nothing just beyond the threshold, Clem moved to the door and quickly looked both ways. On her left was a dead end, on her right was a staircase.

"What do you see?" whispered Christa.

"Nothing, just the stairs," whispered Clem. "I'm gonna check it out."

"Clem no. Just come back."

"If it's Matt, this might be my chance to stop him." Christa sighed. "Lock the door. I'll knock twice and then once when I get back, like Nick is supposed to do."

"Be careful Clem," warned Christa.

"I will." Christa closed the door and Clem heard a lock click in place. She then started slowly moving up the stairs, trying to make as little noise as possible. She reached the top and slowly turned the knob. Cracking the door open slightly, Clem slipped through the narrow opening.

She found herself standing in a massive and fairly lavish sanctuary. There were rows and rows of pews leading up to what Clementine presumed was the altar. The nervous young girl frantically looked around, trying to find any sign of an intruder.

The lantern only illuminated a small fraction of the massive church, making it difficult for Clem to properly survey the area. Moving down the aisles, she covered her mouth to cough a few times, then spun around, paranoid something was behind her.

As she neared the front of the sanctuary, Clem noticed some of the pews had been broken into pieces, and the ones at the front were gone entirely. All that was left were spots on the floor where they used to be bolted to the ground. Reaching the end of the pews, Clementine found there was no altar.

Instead, there seemed to be an improv fire pit made from the bottom of a metal barrel. There were some plastic folding chairs arranged around it and beyond them a few dry erase boards with some papers taped to them that looked like maps.

Looking past the boards, Clementine noticed a large ornate mural. It featured a bearded man in red and blue holding a staff in one hand and cradling a small child on his shoulder with the other hand. Studying it, Clem noticed the pair were looking at each other.

Turning away from the mural, Clem saw a door off to the side. She stepped over to it while looking out at the rest of the church. Clem kept expecting something to jump out at her, even though she didn't hear anything. Reaching the door, Clem found it to be a very heavy metal door, but with some effort she managed to crack it open.