89. No Going Back

Clementine holstered her gun and ran out from cover towards Christa as she stumbled out of the vehicle. Clem threw her arms around the woman, who responded in kind.

"You were trying to find us," realized Sarah. "That's why you were honking the horn."

"Yeah, I woke up and you two were gone," recounted Christa. "I went to get the truck and when I saw you hadn't taken it I figured if you were still alive, and you'd be moving out of town on the road like Nick said we should."

"This... this is a truck?" asked Clem.

"Let's talk on the road." Clem headed up the steps and found herself emerging into a spacious carpeted area. It was like stepping into a living room built into a bus. Pete didn't find a truck, he found an RV, and a huge one at that. "I just realized," said Christa as she moved towards the front.

"Neither of you know how to drive."

"I do," answered Sarah as she closed the door. "Kinda. Ed taught me how to drive one of the trucks, back at Shaffer's."

"Well that'll do," figured Christa. "Go ahead and take the wheel. Not like there are many other drivers to worry about these days." Sarah carefully handed Omid Jr to Christa, who clutched her son to her chest. "You took care of him," said Christa with a smile as Sarah removed her backpack, machete and raincoat.

"So, where are we going?" asked Sarah as she sat down in the driver's seat.

"Let's just stay on this road for a while," instructed Christa. "Right now we just need to put some distance between us and Shaffer's." Christa reached down and pulled a lever. "Don't forget the parking brake."

"Right, sorry." Clem watched as Sarah shifted a lever and slowly pressed down on one of the pedals with her foot. The engine hummed to life and the vehicle started moving forward.

"Keep it about twenty-five," suggested Christa. "Lot of busted cars on the road these days, we don't want to run into one."

"I'll go slow," assured Sarah as she clutched the wheel tightly. Clementine took off her backpack and set it next to Nick's, then slipped off her raincoat. She looked at the RV's interior in disbelief. There was a couch right next to the door, a small two seat dining table across from it. Beyond that was a kitchen with a stove, sink, refrigerator and microwave.

Clem moved to the sink and turned on the faucet. Much to her surprise, water started coming out. She turned the faucet off and moved to the refrigerator. There were jugs of water inside, but they weren't cold, nor was the inside of the fridge. She stretched up to press a button on the microwave, but nothing happened. It didn't appear to have power.

"How come the fridge and microwave don't work?" asked Clem.

"I don't know Clem," shrugged Christa. "I've never even stepped foot in an RV before tonight."

"I did once, but it wasn't nearly as big as this one." Clementine moved to an ajar closet door next and slid it open. She was surprised by how big the interior was, but also confused by the closet's contents. There was a propane tank, some long pieces of tubing with nozzles, a garden hose, some funnels, and assorted tools scattered about inside. "What's this stuff?"

"Not sure. I found most of it lying outside," explained Christa. "There were also some manuals and maps lying in the driver's seat. I think Pete was fixing it, or getting it ready to use. Maybe he never got around to the fridge or the microwave, I don't know. I just figured if Pete was using it, you might need it later, so I tossed it in here." Looking at the shelf in the closet, Clem saw several rows of canned goods and more water stacked up. She also saw Christa's backpack sitting next to the shelf.