9. Unwanted House Guests

"Just what the hell am I looking at?" The older man gazed at the bizarre sight of a bloody little girl being coddled by a very angry and severely pregnant woman with a sense of bewilderment. "Where the fuck did they come from?"

"She got out!" barked Carlos as he stepped forward.

"Back the hell up." The older man held out his arm and blocked Carlos. "Who the hell are they?"

"You the one in charge around here?" snarled Christa.

"No, Pete isn't in charge," answered Carlos.

"The hell I'm not!" The older man glared at Carlos. "Don't think for one second what happened to my leg will keep me from kicking your ass Carlos!" Carlos scowled in response, which just seemed to further infuriate Pete. The two stared angrily at each other for a moment, then Carlos took a step back. "Now, is someone gonna tell me what the hell I'm looking at?"

"We did tell you. We isolated a bite victim, who apparently got out." Carlos stared angrily at Clementine. "Then we locked the woman we found upstairs."

"You didn't mention anything about the bitten one being a kid or the woman being pregnant," retorted Pete.

"I don't see how that changes anything," stated Carlos in a cold voice. "Their man tried to kill us, the woman threatened to kill us, their girl even had a gun, and was bitten to boot, and she still is!"

"I wasn't bitten!" yelled Clementine. "Not by a walker!"

"And Omid wouldn't have killed anyone unless they gave him a good reason!" stated Christa.

"Asking for help, that was a good reason?" bellowed Carlos.

"You weren't asking!" accused Christa.

"Your guy was going to shoot Carlos, I saw it," added Nick.

"He wasn't going to shoot anyone!" insisted Clementine.

"Shut the fuck up! All of you!" Pete's outburst managed to quell the bickering. "Jesus Christ. Now, let's start with the most pressing issue. You were bitten?"

"I wasn't—"

"Don't tell me about it, just show me." Clem looked to Christa, who simply nodded. Clem held out her arm to reveal her recently treated injury. Pete knelt down, groaning as he clutched a large bandage on his left knee. He took Clem's arm and examined the newly made stitches. "That explains the screaming we heard."

"The wound's too big to be a walker bite," asserted Christa.

"Yeah, it is," noted Pete. "How is it you two didn't notice?"

"They didn't even look at it," informed Christa.

"I wasn't all that concerned with the welfare of someone who pointed a gun at your nephew," retorted Carlos.

"You aimed a gun at Nick?" Clementine turned away from Pete in shame.

"Yes," she said weakly.

"All right, we'll come back to that." Pete let go of Clem's arm and then slowly stood back up, bracing his leg as he did. "Carlos, seeing as you're a doctor, how bout—"

"You're a doctor!" exclaimed Christa. "And you were still going to leave her out there in the cold with her arm cut open like that?" Carlos ignored Christa's outburst.

"As I was saying..." spoke Pete. "Carlos, take a look at her arm, make sure it's patched up right."

"I—"

"I'm not asking you."

Carlos groaned and knelt down to examine Clementine's injury. "Your suturing skills could use work," he noted.