48. Behind Closed Doors

"I don't see why we always have to do this at night," Clementine heard a sleepy Gene mumble from her hiding place in the locker.

"I do all my best thinking late at night," said Bill, who sounded wide awake. "Always have. When things are nice and quiet is when you can really clear your mind. And I've always found something about the dark relaxing. Like you're truly alone, and just free to be yourself."

"Then why do you usually call me out of bed too?" asked Gene.

"Because, I do a lot of good thinking when you're around."

"And we have to do this in the armory because?"

"I just wanted to see some of the handguns the crew found today," said Bill. "Figured we could do two things at once. You know, like..."

"Multitasking?"

"Yeah, exactly. Speaking of which, what do you think of this one?"

"I think I'd like it better if you weren't pointing it at me." Clem flinched as she heard a loud click. "Jesus Bill, you—"

"Oh lighten up Gene. You know that tight ass high schooler always double checks to make sure these things are empty."

"Well, I don't exactly feel much better having unloaded guns pointed at me either."

"That's the point Gene. You're not supposed to feel better when a gun is pointed at you. And I'm trying to find which one looks the worst pointed at somebody." Clem listened as she heard Bill pick up and set down several pistols in a hasty manner. "Now hang on, Byron said one of these had an expensive looking engraving on it he thought I'd like. I don't see it." Clem felt a chill shoot up her spine when she realized that was probably the gun she took.

"Maybe he's working on it or something," suggested an uninterested Gene.

"It's got to be around here somewhere." Clem nearly jumped out of her skin when the locker door swung open. It wasn't until she saw Bill's arm shuffling through the guns on the second shelf did she realize he hadn't opened the door she was behind. Clem instinctively pointed her gun at Bill's arm. She watched in terror as he dug deeper into the locker.

Clem found herself wondering what she should do if he saw her. Her first instinct was to shoot Bill if that happened, but she had no idea what to do after that. Clem felt like throwing up as she watched Bill check the top shelf, the only shelf on that side he hadn't checked yet. He was going to find her, and there was nothing she could do about it. The only question left was she going to shoot him or not when that happened.

"Look, you can ask him where it is in the morning," suggested Gene. "You know what he's like when you dig around in his stuff."

"It's my stuff," reminded Bill.

"You know what I—" Gene gasped. "Where did you come from?" Clem felt her whole body freeze up.

"I heard something." George's voice made Clem realize Gene hadn't seen her, which offered her a tiny bit of relief, followed by a swell of anxiety.

"You heard us you damn gorilla," barked Bill.

"Nah, there was something smaller scampering around a little earlier. Like an animal."

"Well, by all means, sniff around." Clem felt her stomach drop as she saw Bill pull the open door out as wide as he could. She could see out of the side of her eye that Bill was standing in front of the locker, as if he was inviting George to search it. As she heard George's heavy footsteps approach, Clem tightened her grip on the gun, thinking she had no choice but to try to shoot them.