62. Just Words

"Your retarded little ass is supposed to be in the pen!" barked Consuelo as she barged into the room.

"Gene said—" Consuelo slapped Clementine hard across the face, knocking her to the ground. Clementine stifled the urge to cry as she clutched the left side of her face, throbbing in pain. Looking up in terror, Clem saw Consuelo looming over her. The small girl found herself trembling as the vicious woman came in close. She was almost certainly ready to beat Clem further, but then Sarah moved in front of her.

"Stop it!" demanded an outraged Sarah as she put herself between Clem and Consuelo. "Gene said it was okay for her to stay here until someone got her."

"I don't give a fuck what that curly haired pole smoking kike had to say! And I sure as shit don't give a fuck what a four-eyed cum guzzling spic like you has to say!" Consuelo shoved Sarah back into a chair and pulled Clem to her feet by the collar. "Come on shit stain, this is the last you're ever going to see of this place." Consuelo pulled Clem out of Sarah's room and back outside. She shoved the small girl forward, forcing her to march.

"You think you'd know better by now than to talk back to me, you mouthy mulatto mongoloid." Clem just bit her lip and held her tongue. "The hell were you doing in there? Finger fucking your filthy wetback dyke girlfriend? Does she give good head?" Clem refused to say anything. "Oh, what's this? The silent treatment? That supposed to teach me a lesson you stuck up little spook?"

Clem didn't respond, but Consuelo did. She grabbed the girl by her collar and flung her to ground. Clem looked up at the vindictive woman, and saw she was holding a gun in her hand. The trembling nine-year-old watched as Consuelo slowly raised her pistol.

"Don't," begged a frightened Clementine as she watched Consuelo aim the gun at her. "There's... there's a herd coming and—"

"I'm willing to bet they're still a ways off." Consuelo tossed the gun at Clementine's feet. "How bout you?" Clem looked at the pistol right in front of her. "Go head, pick up the gun." Clem looked up at Consuelo, unable to ignore the malevolent smile forming on the woman's face. "Come on, I know you want to." Clem found herself paralyzed by fear, unable to even move.

"You know what, I'll make it easy on you." Consuelo turned her back to Clem. "Go right ahead. Pick it up and pull the trigger. It'll be everything you ever wanted." Rubbing her sore cheek, Clementine felt her anger boiling over, urging her to grab the gun. She thought back to shooting Consuelo's thumb off, and what a horrifying sight it was then.

But thinking about it now, Clem found herself enjoying the image of Consuelo bleeding all over herself, of making this horrible person suffer. It dawned on Clem she had the chance to kill Consuelo then, while she was still reeling from the injury. And staring at the gun lying on the pavement, Clem sensed an opportunity to finally correct that mistake.

Clem leaned forward, but then an image of Sarah flashed into her mind. She couldn't push out the thought of how frightened Sarah was to see her beat Matt. And thinking of Matt, Clem remembered the bitter punishment she received, and how her original outburst spurred his vendetta against her. Then she thought of Christa, and Nick, and Carlos, and how they'd be counting on her to open the gate to get out, and Clem found her hand moving back to her side.

Consuelo turned around, seemingly disappointed Clem hadn't made a move for the gun. She bent down and picked up the pistol, but she didn't put it away.

"You really are pathetic, you know that? Even Felicity had the balls to make a move, not that it did her any good." Clementine watched nervously as Consuelo traced the barrel of the gun down the young girl's arm. "You ever hear the expression, an eye for an eye?" Clem felt her heart race as Consuelo's gun stopped over her thumb.