25. In Like ♡︎

"Who was that man?" Zora asked as they drove to Ritchie's house

"Who was that man?" Zora asked as they drove to Ritchie's house. "Really?"

Zora offered to drive because Ritchie was clearly upset. She had her head leaning against the glass, not even caring the products and oil from her hair would mess up the window.

"He's a rapper I used to work with," she quietly responded. "We— we actually used to be friends at one point."

"So... then why did you look so uncomfortable around him? What happened?"

Ritchie didn't respond though. It was obvious she didn't want to talk about it, and usually, Zora wouldn't push something like that, but she just needed to know.

"He... he didn't touch you, did he?"

"No," Ritchie shook her head. "Don't worry, he didn't do anything like that to me."

"Oh thank God," Zora held the hand she wasn't using to drive over her heart.

She was relieved to hear that Cozi didn't touch her because she wasn't sure what she would have done if he did. Zora doesn't get angry a whole lot, but would start a war over Ritchie.

"So why did you look so tense around him then? What happened between y'all?"

"It uh... it didn't technically happen between me and him. It happened to one of my friends— one of my former friends," Ritchie corrected herself. "And since it's not my story, I don't really feel comfortable telling it."

"I respect that," Zora nodded her head. She was just glad Ritchie didn't ever experience anything like that herself but was immediately sad that a girl she doesn't even know had gone through something so traumatic with a man the whole world seems to love and admire. "It's her story, so it's admirable that you aren't quick to tell her business. But uhm... I have to ask, why aren't you friends anymore?"

"It's a long story. But the short version is that she got really mad at me. It was a whole blow-up."

"Oh?" Zora wanted to ask more about it, but she figured she was already overstepping.

"I told someone what happened... and looking back I know I shouldn't have," she whispered. "It wasn't my place to say anything, but I thought I was helping. I thought I was doing a good thing."

"So what made you think you didn't do the right thing?" Zora asked because she wasn't seeing why that was something to get mad at.

"Because it just made things worse," Ritchie looked down at her hands in her lap, playing with her short fingernails. "News got out, but no one believed her because Cozi lied... as most men do. So everyone called her a liar, said that she was doing it for money, or some sick shit like that. It made headlines and everything. It was terrible for her. I swear I was only tryna help her because it was obvious it was taking a toll on her, but... all I did was make it worse."