chapter two: ada shelby

Ophelia and Ada got on like wildfire and started to help where they could. They were close in age, only few months apart with Ophelia being the older one. Ophelia liked helping, she didn't flaunt her title, no one called her my lady, and she felt like any other English girl. "You must visit!" Ada said before Ophelia left with Anna. "We must! Here, my address we'll send letters" Ophelia said. They exchanged addresses and went on their way again.

After buying new mourning clothes, they went back to Downton, much sooner than expected but neither mind. "Did you enjoy yourself, Your ladyship?" Anna asked. "I did, I felt good helping people" Ophelia said as they walked to the station. "I'm glad you enjoyed yourself, my lady" Anna said before they got on the train back. They arrived in time for dinner where Lady Grantham informed them about the news of Duke of Crowborough joining them for a day. "Perhaps he has come for Mary" Lady Grantham said as they went into the drawing room. "Why would he come all this way for Mary" Edith said, and Sybil and Ophelia shared a look. They knew those two never truly saw eye to eye. "Mary is of marrying age" Dowager said. "But so is Edith, Granny" Ophelia said, speaking up which caused Mary to give her a look. "And perhaps he is just here for a visit" Ophelia said, drinking her water as Sybil tried to hide her grin.

Edith gave her a grateful smile, no one ever stood up for her. But Ophelia loved challenging her older sisters, perhaps it was because she had three older sisters, or she just enjoyed it. It was all in good fun, she never wanted to hurt her sisters. They meant the world to her.

After dinner Ophelia went to bed immediately, given the duke would join them tomorrow early in the morning. Because the duke arrived, Lady Grantham requested Ophelia to wear her hair neatly, unlike she did normally. She wore her best day dress and stood with her family to welcome the duke.

"Duke Crowborough, welcome to Downton" Lord Grantham said. "Lord Grantham, it is a pleasure to see you again" the Duke said. "I believe you have met my wife, Lady Grantham" Lord Grantham said introduced his wife. "Of course, Lady Grantham" he said and kissed her hand. "And I believe you haven't met my youngest lady Sybil and lady Ophelia" Lord Grantham said. Both Sybil and Ophelia curtsied, and he kissed their hands as well. As they turned to go inside, they heard a crash, only to find Mr Bates fallen to the floor.

"Bates, are you alright?" Lord Grantham asked, and Ophelia walked over as well. "I'm fine my lordship" Bates said. "Do let me help" Ophelia offered. "I'm quite fine, my lady" Bates said, and Lord Grantham nodded before he took his daughter back inside. Ophelia looked back to see Bates give O'Brien a look. It didn't surprise her; O'Brien could be quite nasty, and she knew it.

Mary had decided to show the duke around Downton. Which Edith was probably going comment about somehow? Ophelia decided to go to the servant's hall to ask if Bates was alright, she did often so if she saw someone was not doing well or going through a rough patch. She would even do it for Barrow, the first footman who also could be quite nasty like O'Brien, but she felt like he was hiding behind a façade. "Lady Ophelia, how may we help you?" Carson asked.

Carson didn't always agree with her ways, he was more traditional, but Mrs. Hughes always saw it as a breath of fresh air, it lightened the mood around the hall and most of the servants, except O'Brien and Barrow, didn't mind. "I came to see if Mr. Bates was alright" she said, looking at the service table where everyone stood, and she noticed Barrow and O'Brien share a look. "I'm quite right my lady" Mr. Bates said, nodding his head at her as a sign of respect. "That's good to hear" Ophelia said. "Excuse me for disturbing you all while the duke is here" Ophelia said excusing herself before going back upstairs and grabbing a book in her father's library. Her father came in as she was signing the book out. "How are you today, my dear" he asked as she turned back around. "I'm quite alright, I checked with Mr. Bates, and luckily his fall didn't hurt him" she said. "Good, thank you for checking" her father said.

Her kindness always made him wonder where she got it, he always assumed it was her mother, perhaps it was the American in her, because it wasn't English. But unlike most Englishman who would have scold their daughters for behaving such way. But Lord Grantham couldn't imagine having to scold his daughter for simply being kind.

At dinner Ophelia could feel the tension. "How did you enjoy Downton?" Lady Grantham asked, looking at the duke. "Yes, it quite beautiful" the duke said and then Ophelia noticed Edith's look. "What were you doing in the attic?" Edith asked. Sybil and Ophelia looked at Mary waiting for an answer. "We were just looking around" Mary said. "Why the attic, there is nothing but servants' rooms" Edith said. Ophelia watched her sisters go at each other like she was reading a drama book. "It can be quite nice to explore more than just the average rooms" Ophelia said. "Not every household has the same type of attic" she said. Mary gave her sister a smile, she didn't need the words, but she was glad they came from Ophelia.

After dinner the ladies went to the drawing room while Lord Grantham and the Duke stayed behind for a little while. After Lord Grantham joined everyone again, Mary went to see the duke only to be turned down, proving Edith almost right when she said he wasn't here for a proposal. Ophelia knew with Patrick's passing that Mary was anxious, she was 22 nearly 23 and not married or even engaged anymore.

Ophelia decided to go to bed early and by the time she awoken the duke had already left, a sudden appointment came up. Ophelia went to have breakfast before Carson brought over the letters for today, which included one for her. "Thank you, Carson" she said before reading it. It was Ada, writing how much fun she had and hoped Ophelia could visit her and her aunt Polly again while they were in London.

"Father, might I go to London to meet a friend?" Ophelia asked. "Alone?" Lord Grantham asked surprised. She was barely 16, and she hadn't been send off alone yet. "I will be fine, I promise" she said almost begging her father. "What on Earth do you have in London" Mary said surprised. "I made a friend in Manchester, and they invited me to meet in London" Ophelia said. "It's nice you made a friend your own age" Sybil said. "Please, papa" Ophelia said smiling brightly at her father. "Only if one of your sisters goes with you, and you'll stay at Aunt Rosamunds" Lord Grantham said.

Ophelia's bright smile was now directed at her sisters. "I can go, I can visit Mr. Napier" Mary said. "Thank you, Mary" Ophelia said smiling brightly. Her father wrote her aunt to keep an eye out for his daughters. And Ophelia replied to Ada. Carson walked in again. "Dowager countess Lady Grantham is here my lordship" he said, and Lady Grantham walked in, thanking Carson. "Mother, what brings you here so early" Lord Grantham said. "I came to talk about the whole ordeal" she said and left again for the library where Lord Grantham went to as well.

"I wonder why she's here" Edith said. "For Mary, of course" Ophelia said. "Me?" Mary said and all her sisters looked at her. "Granny wants Mary to inherit the property now, given we don't really know our cousin that well." Ophelia said, like it was the most obvious thing. "I still think it's ridiculous women can't inherit anything" Sybil said. "Hopefully we will see a time where they can" Ophelia said, before leaving to pack. 

___

a/n; I been making some edits for this story which i'm thinking of posting to instagram as well as tiktok, thoughts?

tiktok: galaxy_chanie