chapter twenty one

1919, early December

When Ophelia stood on the platform for her train on Friday morning, she stood next to a man, dressed nicely unlike most men around. His suit was obviously more expensive, and Ophelia could see a scar on his face with made her think he had some kind of past. "Father!" She heard and when she turned around, she saw Arthur walking over. The train arrived and she needed to get in and she hoped Arthur was going to be fine.

She watched from her train window and saw one of them, who she assumed was Arthur's father, get on the train as well while Arthur looked pissed. She hoped whatever it was it would be resolved.

She arrived in York in the late afternoon and Mary looked at her. She noticed her sisters face and knew something was going on. "There is something you aren't telling" Mary said. "Granny wants to see me for tea, please tell me she asked you too?" Ophelia asked. "Fortunately for me, no" Mary said. "What do you think she wants to see me for?" Ophelia asked. "I assume it's because you have been living in Birmingham for the past months" Mary said. "Working, and I enjoy it" Ophelia said. "Granny also has a flair for the dramatics, Ophelia, don't worry" Mary said. "I still do" she said.

Mary gave her another look. "What is it?" she asked her sister. "You have spent a long time in Birmingham now, and I know you've been seeing Tommy, and don't deny it. Have there been more?" Mary asked. "No, not after that one time. We've been careful, even though he doesn't know about that one time" Ophelia said. "He deserves to know" Mary said. "I know, but something in me is too afraid, it's going to make it too real" Ophelia said. "I understand, but if you do plan to marry this man one day" Mary said. "No secrets" she said. "Exactly." Mary said.

Friday went by fast and before she knew it, she was dressed proper and on her way to her grandmother's place. "Hello dear" her grandmother said, sitting in her usual spot. Isobel Crawley was also present, and it made Ophelia feel less anxious. "Hello Granny, Aunt Isobel" she said and sat down on the couch with her cousin. "How has Birmingham been?" Isobel asked. "it's been great, there are still a large number of soldiers who suffer from shell shock or physical injuries which still need mending" Ophelia said. "I still don't think it's a proper thing for a lady" her grandmother said. "Is that why I'm here?" She asked. "No, not entirely." Dowager said. "Then why are we here?" Ophelia asked when someone was brought in by her grandmother's butler, Spratt. "The Marquess of Daventry, my ladyship" Spratt said. "Ah, thank you" the Dowager said, and Ophelia and Isobel shared a look.

The Marquess of Daventry was a young man, older than the Crawley sisters. Ophelia stood up, like a lady should. "Dowager Countess" the man said. Ophelia could only describe him like he came from a Jane Austen novel, he was charming but there was something intimidating about him. "This is my cousin, Isobel Crawley and my granddaughter, Lady Ophelia Crawley" her grandmother said and just then everything fell into place. Her grandmother may have been nice to Tommy when he came by, but she would never approve of him. "Pleasure to meet you" the man said. "Thane van Doren" he said. "Pleasure to meet you, My Lord" Ophelia said. "Please join us for tea" the Dowager said, and the Marquess sat down on one of the chairs.

"His Lord Marquess has recently appointed to Daventry. He moved into the Granger estate" her grandmother said. "What brings you all the way over here, My Lord?" Ophelia said, she knew the Marquess was located near Northampton, and not anywhere near York. "I was the fourth in line, and everyone in front of me passed during the war, so I have been learning a lot, travelling meeting other Marquesses, Dukes, and Earls" van Doren said. "Oh, I'm sorry for your loss" Isobel said. "Indeed, did you serve, my lord?" Ophelia asked. "I did, mostly in France" he said. "I met a Captain Crawley once, any relation?" he asked. "My son" Isobel said proudly.

"I heard he was in an accident; did everything go well?" the Marquess asked. "Yes, he was, but I'm glad because thanks to the nursing of Ophelia here, and her sister Mary, he was alright" Isobel said. "You are a trained nurse, my lady?" the Marquess asked. "I am, I joined in 1914 and still working as a nurse truthfully" Ophelia said. "In Birmingham" the Dowager said. "Perhaps I will see more of you then, my office is located in Birmingham, I do most of my work there" the Marquess said, and even though Ophelia wanted to snap at him, she knew better. "Perhaps we will, my lord" Ophelia said.

The Marquess left before her and Isobel and when she left with Isobel, they walked together. "You should not worry; your family is accepting of Tommy" Isobel said. "Yes, but my grandmother is still inviting me for tea on the one day the Marquess is joining her." Ophelia said. "It's still your decision before it's your grandmothers" Isobel said. "Thank you, for the boost of confidence" Ophelia said. "Of course, I would hate to be in the way of love" Isobel said before Ophelia went back to Downton.

"What did Granny want?" Mary asked when Ophelia walked back into the house. "She wanted me to meet the new Marquess of Daventry" Ophelia said and sat down on the nearest couch. "The Marquess of Daventry? In York?" Mary asked confused. "Yes, apparently he was meeting all sorts of Dukes, Earls and what not" Ophelia said. "Convenient." Mary said. Ophelia nodded. "Oh, darling, there you are. I was wondering if you wanted to invite someone for Christmas and New Year's?" Cora said walking over.  "I'm thinking about it" Ophelia said, sitting a little straighter. "Why don't you invite the Shelby's?" Cora asked. "All of them?" Ophelia asked.

"Maybe for New Year's then?" Cora asked. "And the Servants ball" Cora said. "Mama, what are you planning?" Mary asked. "Sybil has declined, she can't come over with Branson" she said. "Oh, is it money? Because we can send it to them" Ophelia said. "No, they had plans with Branson's family" Cora said. "Would Ada's husband want to come?" Cora asked. "Ada's husband is a communist, Mama, I would like to not give Papa a heart attack for Christmas" Ophelia said. "I appreciate it, what about the others?" Lord Grantham said, walking in the drawing room as well. "John recently got married and has 4 children to take care off" Ophelia said. "And Arthur, well Arthur is Arthur I suppose. He's not the type for fancy dinners" Ophelia said. "Servant's ball, it's casual and fun" Cora said. "Perhaps your mother is right, the servant's ball is much more casual, for us, our servants and probably them too" Lord Grantham said.

"I will ask them, but don't hold hope they will come" Ophelia said. "Do invite Tommy for Christmas and New Year's" Cora said, before both Lord and Lady Grantham walked away. "She is planning something" Mary said, and Ophelia agreed with her.

Ophelia returned on Sunday evening, at her place. Ophelia had no idea what Tommy was planning, she only knew Monday was supposed to be black star day. And she had no plans to join in on it. When she returned, she could feel something in the air. When she arrived at her place, she saw Tommy lean against the door. "How long have you been standing there?" Ophelia asked. "Not long, one of my men saw you leave the station and gave me a head's up" Tommy said. "You have your men follow me?" Ophelia asked, leaning against the door as well to look at him. "Ever since you came into town, I want to make sure you're safe" he said. "I am but thank you anyways" Ophelia said, and they walked inside.

"Tomorrow is black star day, and I want you here when I return" Tommy said. "I'll be here" Ophelia said. "I will always be by your side; do you understand me" she said, and he nodded. "I know, come tomorrow, 11 o'clock, that's just before we leave" Tommy said, and Ophelia nodded and agreed. "I will come to you then" she said.

...

i'm starting another tommy shelby story bc he owns my heart,
also the marquess of daventry is richard armitage

i'm starting another tommy shelby story bc he owns my heart,also the marquess of daventry is richard armitage