chapter nineteen

Ophelia and Tommy went back, and Tommy had made sure everyone knew the plan, except John. "Please, go with Ada" Tommy said, as Ophelia dressed for the wedding. She went to find Ada and Polly who also came. "Glad to have you here as well, even if it's for Tommy" Ada said. "I'm here for you too, you are my best friend, Ada" Ophelia said and the three of them locked arms, with Ada in the middle. When they noticed they told John they walked over to the wedding.

Ada and Ophelia stood near Tommy. "Grace said there was a truce" Ada said. "Of course, Family Day" Tommy said. "I swear if she's over 50 I will kill you" John said to Tommy as Zilpha brought the girl over. Tommy removed his toothpick and shoved him toward the girl where Johnny Dogs would officiate the wedding. Ada kept looking from Tommy to Ophelia and switched places with her so she could stand next to Tommy. Tommy gave a thankful nod to Ada and made sure Ophelia was fine. She seemed to be happy, and she was. She loved weddings, all sorts of weddings and this wedding was much more in theme with the Shelby's Romani heritage, and she loved to see all the sides of what made Tommy, Tommy.

"Your husband couldn't make it?" Tommy asked Ada. "He's not speaking to me, and when he does he call me a "Fucking Shelby"" Ada said. "Even though I'm a Thorne now" Ada said. "Thorn in my side that's for sure" Tommy said which earned him a poke in the ribs from Ophelia's elbow, which made Ada smile. "My god, Tommy. You admire him, don't you" Ada said and looked at her brother.

After the ceremony there was a party with lots of dancing which Ophelia enjoyed even more. "Come on, Elia!" Ada said and dragged her friend for more wild dancing, but Ada was clearly drunk. "Ada, careful" Ophelia said. "Ada, that's enough!" Tommy said, standing up and walking over from his spot next to Zilpha. "Come on, have a rest, sit down" Tommy said. "Just a few minutes, Ada" Ophelia tried as well. "Come and look, Esme!" Ada yelled pulling away from Ophelia and pointed at Tommy. "Come and look at the family you've joined. Come and look at the man who runs it!" Ada yells and John looks at his sister. "Shit" John said.

Ada kept walking away from Tommy and Ophelia who was only trying to help her because of her pregnancy. "Chooses his brother's wives for him!" Ada yelled. "He hunts his own sister down like a rat, and he tries to kill his own brother-in-law!" Ada said. "Ada, please" Ophelia said. "And the only person he seems to care about is my best friend, who he is so in love with" Ada said. Ophelia decided to hold back, this wasn't the time to intervene, but she noticed it made Tommy slightly more annoyed. "And now, he won't even have me have a fucking dance!" Ada yelled, and then doubled over in pain.

"Ada?" Ophelia said and walked over again, placing her hand on her belly when she saw water. "Holy shit, water" Polly said. "Not now, Ada! Bloody hell, you do pick your times" Arthur said while Polly and Ophelia helped her into the car. Tommy drove them back to Watery Lane and while Ophelia was helping Ada up the stairs, Polly told Tommy someone should be here. "You are right, let me handle it" Tommy said and left with the men as Esme also walked up.

The men went to the Garrison, saying there was nothing for them to do anyways. Tommy went to the office to grab something he needed, a necklace he had bought for Ophelia, given her birthday was in a few months, and he wanted to gift her something for Christmas. He bought a locket, similar to the one he still held on too, one he always had on him ever since the war ended. It had been a silver one, round and simple with the Crawley crest engraved into it.

He walked back to his brothers. "It's a family day, isn't it Tom" Arthur said. "Yes, family day" Tommy said as he sat with his brothers and watched Grace leave, not knowing she was going to call Campbell about Freddie. "Look at that, looks like the princess is making our Tommy soft, John boy" Arthur joked before the three started to drink some more.

"Alright Ada, push!" Polly said. Ophelia looked at Ada's belly and it seemed Esme had the same thought. "I think it might be the wrong way around" she said. "I attended three sisters" Esme said. Ophelia felt Ada's belly. "She's right, Pol" Ophelia said. "Alright, Ada, lean forward" Polly said, and they helped Ada lean forward and rest on her hands and knees. Ada started to push again and soon Ophelia was able to wrap the newborn in a clean towel.

"Your son" Ophelia said. "It's a boy?" Ada said and smiled at Ophelia when there was a knock on the door. Polly stood up while Esme and Ophelia made Ada comfortable. "Ada!" Freddie Thorne said, walking into the Shelby home. "Freddie!" Ada said and they enjoyed their moment while Esme and Ophelia took their leave, standing near the kitchen making some tea. There was another knock on the door and when Esme went to open the door the police busted in.

"You can't do this! A baby has just been born" Esme said. The police didn't listen, and an officer pushed Esme against the wall. "Stop!" Ophelia said and tried to stop them from taking Freddie but resulted in getting pushed away as well. Esme and Ophelia were being stopped until they took away Freddie. Ophelia got pissed, more than she had ever felt before and punched the cop who was holding her against the wall. The moment she did she was surprised by her own anger, but the cop thought fast and punched her back right in her left eye.

When the police left, and Ada was left with her newborn son. Polly had a storm in her eyes, and she ran out. "Polly!" Ophelia yelled and ran after Polly, wondering what was going on. Polly busted into the Garrison with Ophelia right behind her. "It's a boy" Polly said, and Arthur and John cheered before she slapped Tommy and kept going until Arthur and John took her off of him. "But the police came and took his father away!" Polly yelled in anger. Ophelia looked at Tommy whose face only showed confusion, and she believed it to be genuine. Out of the corner from her eye she saw Grace watch the scene slowing in her own work.

"Don't you dare look at me like that! You liar!" she said and spat down in front of him. She pushed past Ophelia back to the house as Arthur and John followed her. "What happened" Tommy asked as he dragged her into the booth. He touched underneath her eye, and she flinched. "Who did this?" he asked, the confusion in his voice being replaced by anger for whoever hurt her. "Some copper, I'm fine" Ophelia said. "How did they know?" Ophelia asked, and Tommy was surprised. "Not here" he said and grabbed his coat before they left to her apartment.

"I told Polly she could tell Ada to send word to Freddie, he deserved to know his child was being born" Tommy said. "Then Polly assumed I told someone that Freddie would be there" Tommy said. "I assumed from the hitting and screaming" Ophelia said and went to her kitchen to grab something cold to put on her eye. "I didn't" Tommy said as Ophelia walked back to him. "I know" she said. "How do you know?" Tommy said. "Because. Your confusion looked to real to be faked and I saw the way Grace was watching everything go down." Ophelia said. "She's up to something and she must have caught wind of it" Ophelia said. "She was speaking to Arthur and John about it, perhaps they let it slip where he would be" Tommy said. Ophelia nodded. "I want to know what happens when we make her think no one is talking to you" Ophelia said.

Tommy leaned back on her couch. "You want to wait her out?" Tommy asked. "Yes, I mean, if she thinks you are making the mistake of trusting her, then she will make mistakes too" Ophelia said. Tommy looked at her. There was something new about her, and he couldn't put his finger on it. She was still the woman he fell in love with, but there was just something. Something he hadn't seen before, not in her. "Smart, that means we won't speak in public anymore, even though she saw us leave together" Tommy pointed out to Ophelia. "That can still mean we got in a fight after we left" Ophelia said. She stood up and sat down right next to him.

Tommy was leaning into the corner of the couch and Ophelia moved closer and moved herself a little more askew on the couch. "I want you to remember, that every angry look, every snark comment, means I love you" Ophelia said as she looked at him. "You and me, darling" Tommy said. "You and me, my love" she said and kissed him. They enjoyed the little moments they had, and they knew they would be getting more now that they had to pretend not to like each other. 

...

i have so many chapters planned already, and don't even get me started on someone else arriving...