chapter twenty four

...

When Tommy opened his eyes again, he realised once again the words hadn't truly left his mouth. He had to make it perfect, something Ophelia deserved. Not a rant in the middle of the night. "I should go back to my room" Ophelia said. "I wish you could stay" he said but he knew she couldn't not while they were staying with her family, not yet. "One day" she said before she left in the dark night again.

After breakfast the following morning Tommy went back to Birmingham, besides the business he needed to plan how to properly propose to Ophelia. And he didn't know where to start. "You seem down" John said when he entered the betting shop. "I'm not" Tommy replied. "I hope whatever is on your mind is not bad" Polly said when she walked in. Almost the whole family, with exception of Ada and Freddie, were there. "Don't say it has to do with business Tommy" Polly said. "It doesn't. I asked Ophelia's father for permission to marry her" Tommy said. "He said no?" John asked. "He said yes" Tommy answered back.

"Then why do you look like someone just put you away for life" Polly asked. "I don't know when or how to ask her" Tommy said which made his brothers' laugh. "Alright, you men out, this is women's business" Polly said as she sends John and Arthur on their way. "Do you have a ring?" Polly asked. "No" Tommy said and sighed again. "She doesn't seem like the type of girl to mind what kind of ring, get her something that reminds you of her" Esme said. "She's right" Polly said. "As for the moment, choose wisely. Don't do it when she is sad, do it when she's happy" Polly said.

Tommy stood up and left the betting shop. He lit a cigarette before walking to the nearest jewellery store. "Mr. Shelby, what can I do for you?" the man asked. Everywhere in Small Heath, people knew the Shelby's and they knew not to mess with them. "I'm looking for an engagement ring" Tommy said. "Let me grab my finest" the jeweller said. He came back with a tray of the most expensive looking rings Tommy had ever seen. Rings he assumed people like Ophelia and her family would wear, and also wear during everyday occasions. But that wasn't Ophelia. "Do you have something, smaller?" Tommy asked. The man frantically nodded and grabbed another tray with rings with smaller diamonds. Tommy saw one which had the same colour of her new locket, and instead of round it was a square shape, with rectangles on the sides which was filled with diamonds. The main square had a round diamond in the middle and around it ruby crystals. It was not like the others, and Tommy knew, this was something that said Ophelia. "This one" he said, and the jeweller immediately placed it in holding. "If the ring doesn't fit, you can always come and reshape it here, Mr. Shelby" he said. "How much?" Tommy asked. "20 pounds sir" the man said, afraid it would be too much to ask from a Blinder.

Tommy didn't care, he knew that this was the ring, so he placed 20 pounds on the counter, it wasn't like he didn't have that kind of money. The betting shop was making at least 80 pounds a day from their legal standpoint, not to mention the illegal side of their business. "Thank you" Tommy said when he was given the ring in a velvet box, which he placed in his coat pocket.