chapter seven

There was something about Thomas Shelby's words that made Ophelia think about them constantly. Even when they were in London. She didn't quite enjoy the whole debutant, and being presented to the King and Queen, especially when this meant she now too would need to look for possible suitors. She had invited Ada to come visit them while they were in London, and somehow there was a sliver of hope that she came with her brothers, but alas, she didn't.

"So now it means you can marry?" Ada asked, as they walked around London, just them. "Yes, but I suspect my sisters go before me, though I doubt Edith would" Ophelia said honestly. "Edith doesn't have many suitors?" Ada asked. "No, even Sybil has had more. Before her debutant too" Ophelia said. "I also think she has a secret admirer in our chauffeur" Ophelia said. "Is he good looking?" Ada asked. "He's not bad looking" Ophelia admitted. Branson was handsome, but not the type of person she saw herself with. "What about you?" Ophelia asked.

"Don't tell anyone, but I quite fancy my brother's friend, Freddie Thorne" Ada said, and Ophelia smiled at her friend. Life for Ada seemed to be both easier and much more difficult than her life at Downton was. She wasn't allowed to just marry anyone, unless he held the same status or even higher.

Ophelia was not one for their fortunes, she was the one who bought the least with her money, even though her mother often tried to pursue her into buying new clothes, yet she always refused. She remembered once how she got into trouble for giving her monthly allowance to a worker's union when she was 9 years old. She hadn't grown in a long while and she didn't see the point of having all that money anyways. Her mother thought

that it was kind, but her father would have rather she spend it on new dresses.

London life was definitely not something she would want to get used to. Even though it was closer to Ada and her aunt, both whom she loved dearly. She would much rather stay out of the city, yet close enough to help the people.

In July, luckily, her London life came to an end, and she was happy to be back home. "My lady you've received a letter" Carson said when they first entered the house. "Did this come in when we were away, Carson?" Ophelia asked, taking it from him. "No, my lady, this came only yesterday" he said, and she thanked him. She went to her room to open the letter, not recognising the handwriting just yet.

"Dear m'lady,

According to my sister, a big congratulations is in order. As you may well know a debutant ball is not something my family is used to, but my sister tells me it's a great deal for you and yours. Which is why I am including a gift for you, to congratulate. I hope it finds you well, and that you may enjoy it.

Yours truly, Thomas Shelby"

When Ophelia looked in the envelope she found a bracelet, it was small in width, but still beautiful. It had small diamonds in it, surrounded by a unique design. This must have cost him greatly, Ophelia thought. She held it in her hand, and it had warmed her heart. She immediately went looking around Downton for paper, and something she could gift Thomas.

"Everything alright, my lady" Anna asked, when Ophelia even ran to the service hall to look. "I'm looking for paper, to use for a letter" Ophelia said, still holding the letter and bracelet in her hand. "That is beautiful, my lady" Mrs. Hughes said when she saw what Ophelia was holding. "Ada's brother, Thomas, send it as a present for my debutant debut, and I can't accept it without sending him something back, can't I?" Ophelia asked. "If it was a gift you don't have to my lady" Mrs. Hughes said. "But you can always do it, as a thank you" Anna said. "I think I will" Ophelia said and went looking back upstairs through her belongings.