chapter twenty-three

1919, 1 week before Christmas

Ophelia and Tommy had left the celebration quite late; it had only been Polly, John and Arthur who were there to hear Tommy tell them they had become the third largest legal racetrack operation in the country, beneath Solomons and Sabini

"I want you to move in with me" Tommy said when they reached her apartment. "And give my father a heart attack?" Ophelia asked as she watched Tommy. "He doesn't need to know" Tommy said. "No, besides you are here more than I'm at yours" she said. "Fair" Tommy said. "Can you now tell me about what happened?" he asked, looking at her. Ophelia nodded.

They sat on the couch, after Ophelia made herself some tea and gave Tommy scotch. "It was last Christmas, I was feeling down ever since we separated, and when my sister suggested I go ride Cerberus and when I was at the stables, I felt lightheaded and blacked out. By the time I woke up Dr. Clarkson informed me I had gone through a miscarriage" Ophelia said.

Tommy fell silent. He wasn't someone you expected to get emotional, and Ophelia didn't expect him too either. She expected him to react like every other man to such news to show they care. But when Ophelia looked at Tommy, she felt guilty. "I'm sorry" she said. It wasn't her fault, there was nothing she could have done different. "Don't" Tommy said, and Ophelia felt panic for a little, not wanting to hear his next words. "Don't apologise, it wasn't your fault" Tommy finished and there was relief in Ophelia, that she was not to blame. "I want you to look at me" Tommy said, and she did. "I don't want you to blame yourself. This wasn't your fault. I wish you had told me when it happened or told me sooner" Tommy said. He turned to face her and placed his hands on her cheeks.

"I love you, and I plan to marry you, soon" Tommy said. "And I want us to make a promise" Tommy said. "What is that?" Ophelia asked. "To never lie to each other ever again" Tommy said. "I promise" she said. "I promise as well" Tommy said.

Few days before Christmas, Ophelia planned to leave with most her stuff. It was then Tommy came to visit her. "Everything alright?" she asked when she saw him. "I just received a letter from your mother. She invited me for Christmas and New Year's" Tommy said. "Are you joining us?" she asked. "I will, but I also have a question" Tommy asked. "Which is" Ophelia asked. "What is the servant's ball?" he asked. "It's a party, in January, we host for the servants. We dance and have food" Ophelia said. "Why?" Ophelia asked. "Your mother invited my entire family to join, including Esme and Freddie" Tommy said. "She even offered to make sure any and all children will be taken care off" Tommy said.

"Family meetings in my family are quite serious" Ophelia said. "And if you don't want to come then that's fine too" she said. "No, if I'm going to marry you, then your family meeting mine is something we'll need to do" Tommy said before he took Ophelia to the station.

When Ophelia finally arrived, her mother immediately walked over to her. "Has Tommy told you if he's going to come?" she asked. "Yes, and his family will come for the servant's ball" Ophelia said. "Also, when did you start calling him Tommy?" Ophelia asked. "Well, he's nice and you two are clearly in love with each other" her mother said. "Mama, how American of you to be so blunt" Ophelia smiled. "But I do love him, and I hope everything goes well" Ophelia said. "Your aunt Rosamund is coming today as well" Cora said. "Oh, and still no Sybil?" she asked. "No, they couldn't make it" Cora said, trying to hide the fact Sybil couldn't come because she was pregnant.