chapter sixteen

1919, last week of April

On Friday afternoon, Ophelia joined her mother and sisters to their trip to Ireland where they would watch Sybils wedding. Their father wasn't coming, and neither was their grandmother. Isobel and Matthew did come but they would be a day later.

"Tell me all about Birmingham" Sybil said as they sat at dinner. "Oh, it's not much" Ophelia said. "Besides, we all know why she truly went" Mary teased, which caused Ophelia to turn red. "I do not, would you mind dear?" Mrs. Branson said. "I met someone, and he lives in Birmingham" Ophelia said. "How did you meet?" Tom asked. "I'm friends with his sister, Ada, and his unit was stationed with mine during the war" Ophelia said. "Also, protestants I assume" Mrs. Branson said. "Mother" Tom said. "No, actually. They were all raised Catholic" Ophelia said, awaiting her family's reaction as well.

"Oh my, perhaps Papa will have a harder time with it" Mary said. "That's not all" Ophelia said. "Now you got us curious dear" Cora said looking at her daughter. "The Shelby family are bookmakers" she said. "Oh, that does change everything" Mrs. Branson said. "But it's love that truly matters dear" she said, genuinely. "He's planning on expending and work in the import/export business" Ophelia said, remembering their conversation.

When they went to bed, Mary walked over. "I have met Ada, and Tommy when he was a patient. He didn't seem the religious type" Mary said. "I said he was raised Catholic, not that he was. Besides, after what I've seen in the war, I don't know if I believe" Ophelia said. "Fair, I was never sure either" Mary said.

The next morning Matthew and Isobel arrived and later that day Sybil would get married. Ophelia was dressed nicely again, for first time in a while. She didn't pull out the most fancies clothes while she was in Birmingham. She enjoyed the wedding, and she looked forward to marrying herself. "It was a beautiful wedding, Sybil" she said. "Thank you, I hope to be able to go to one of yours soon too" Sybil said. "We are still planning when it would be the best time" Mary said. "And I am not even near a proposal" Ophelia said. "Nor am I" Edith said, but more gloom than Ophelia had sounded. "You'll find someone Edith" Ophelia said. "Thank you" Edith said. "Are you sure you can't stay longer?" Sybil asked Ophelia. "No, I'm sorry but before I left Ada got engaged and she's planning to elope with him because her brothers don't approve" Ophelia said. "Yet she invited you" Mary said, laughing. "She did, and I plan on being there for her" Ophelia said.

Ophelia returned on Monday, dressed in something nice before she found Ada and Freddie. "Are you two ready?" Ophelia asked. "We are, thank you again" Freddie said because he knew the money, they used for the marriage license and Ada's dress came from Ophelia. "It's my pleasure, now let's go" Ophelia said, and they went to the registry. Polly stood outside smiling. "If you are here to stop me" Ada said. "No, I'm here to support you" Polly said. "Thank you, Aunt Pol" Ada said, and they went in.

It was a small wedding, but it was all Ada and Freddie would want from their wedding. Ophelia and Polly gifted Ada and Freddie money and some time away from Birmingham and they took it for their honeymoon, and Polly hoped they would use it to stay away but she knew neither would listen to that.

"Come with me, we are getting a drink and a talk" Polly said and took Ophelia to a small place to get some tea. "I feel like this isn't just a social call" Ophelia said. "No, not fully" Polly said. "How did you guess?" she asked. "My grandmother, she invites people over for tea when she wants to tell them what to do or give them an ear full" Ophelia said. "I think I will like her" Polly said. "Oh, you would" Ophelia smiled as they ordered their tea.

"The real reason why I have you here now, is Tommy" Polly said. "He has been sneaking out late at night and returns in the morning. Yet, when you were away for a few days, he didn't sneak out" Polly said. "And do you want me to tell you the truth or what you want to hear?" Ophelia asked. "They are the same" Polly said. "Few days ago, when Tommy shot his horse, he stood in the rain at 2 am in front of my door. I could tell he hadn't slept for a while, which is something I see in most soldiers. I helped him and we fell asleep in my bed and for the first time in a while he slept again. So, I offered for him to sleep with me, to make sure he can sleep again" Ophelia said. "You love him?" Polly asked, and it was the most serious she had ever seen Polly. "I do. I love him with all my heart" Ophelia said and looked at Polly, so she knew she was serious about her feelings.

"If your father were to say he would take away everything from you. Your money, your title, would you still love Tommy" Polly asked. "I would trade my life for him" she said. "I don't care about my money or my title, Polly, I care about Tommy being okay" she said. Polly nodded. "Would your family accept him?" she then asked. "It would take them time; my father and grandmother are the more conservatives of my family. My mother is easier and just wants her children happy. My other grandmother and uncle live in America and don't give much opinion to the family. She does think the British are too snobby" Ophelia said, and Polly gave a small smile.

"Mary might be snappy, but as long as I'm happy she will be easy to control, and I'm sure Tommy can handle her" Ophelia said. "Do they know about us being Romani?" Polly asked. "No, they do not." Ophelia said. Polly sat back and looked at Ophelia. "What has Tommy said about it" she asked as she watched the young woman. "He wanted to work to make himself into someone I deserve to be with, but I have told him; I do not care about that" Ophelia said. "Good, be careful though, they make enemies, and I would hate for you or your family to be a part of that" Polly said. "I can handle myself but thank you Polly" Ophelia said and after tea they went back to their place Tommy got out of the car with Grace.

"They went to the Cheltenham races" Polly said. "How well do you trust your instincts, Polly" Ophelia asked when they walked into the betting shop. "As well as my faith, why?" Polly asked. "There is something about Grace, I can't put my finger on it" she said. "And it's not for the fact Tommy just got out of the car with her" Polly asked as they sat down. "Oh, is princess jealous" Arthur joked. "I'm not, it's a weird gut feeling. I thought about it after Campbell had me arrested. He said it was an informant who called me Elia, which is a name only friends and close family calls me" she said. Polly looked at her and agreed. "That is a good gut feeling" Polly said.

...
I can totally see the Dowager and Polly be besties