chapter twenty-five

New Year's; 1919->1920

On December 31st, everyone joined the Crawleys. From family to Lord Hepworth, Tommy and the Marquess of Daventry. Tommy arrived in the afternoon, and Lord Grantham had another talk with him that if he ever hurt his daughter, he would hear from him personally.

At the party, just before midnight Ophelia and Edith helped give out glasses of champagne. "Once again, the servants are downstairs, and we fend for our own" Carlisle said. "In the whole year we only fend for ourselves twice; during Christmas lunch and during New Year's Eve." Mary said. "Which is a lot less than I fend for myself" Tommy said as he stood next to Mary looking at Carlisle. "Twice doesn't seem much to me either" Mary said. "You haven't had to fight for what you've got, I assumed Mr. Shelby would have agreed with me" Carlisle said. Which made Lord Grantham look.

"It's because I am fighting for all I've got and all that I want to have, that I know fending for myself twice in a year is hardly much" Tommy said. "If you run a household where everyone has to work 24/7, no one would want to work for you, Sir Carlisle" Ophelia said, and Mary tried to hold in her smile. "And do try to get past that, it makes you sound angry all the time" Mary said and walked over to Matthew.

"Oh, here we go!" Rosamund said when she saw it was almost midnight. The clock started to chime when it was finally midnight. "Happy New Year" Lord Grantham said. "Happy New Year" everyone said holding their champagne glass up. Ophelia and Tommy gave each other a kiss on the cheek, like all the couple did before they went to speak to others. "Happy New Year, mama" Ophelia said and gave her mother a kiss on the cheek as well. "Happy New Year, I can't wait what 1920 will bring us" Cora said and also wished Tommy a happy new year.

"1920, is it to be believed. I feel as old as Methuselah" the Dowager said when Lord Grantham and Ophelia stood with her. "But so much prettier" Lord Grantham said and smiled at his mother. "When I think what the last ten years has brought, God knows what we're in for now" she said. "Let's hope all things good" the Marquess said.

In the early morning everyone got ready for the hunt. "Have you done this before?" Matthew asked Tommy. "I'm afraid not" he said. "I have seen enough, I can help" Ophelia said. "Well at least I'm not the only one inexperienced" Matthew said and smiled at the two of them. "I also believe a congratulations are in order" Matthew said. "Thank you, Matthew" Ophelia said. "I do hope I'm invited" he joked. "Of course, couldn't have the wedding without you" Tommy said.

"Given there is only four of you, you must all divide to charm us" Lord Hepworth said. "Lady Mary will stand with me" Carlisle said, and Ophelia looked at Mary. "Well, I—" Mary said trying to go against it. "I thought you said you'd stand with me for the first drive" Matthew said, walking over to them. "Yes. I think I did" Mary said. "Lady Ophelia then?" Carlisle asked. "I am joining Mr. Shelby; he has no experience in a hunt" Ophelia said.

They all walked into the woods, with some of the local men and their hunt dogs. "You could have asked for a loader" Ophelia said to Tommy. "I'm used to loading my own guns, besides if anything goes wrong, I won't have witnesses" Tommy joked. "I'm your witness, perhaps I will tell" Ophelia joked. Tommy shot better than she had expected. "You seem better at this than you let on" Ophelia said. "Comes with the business, darling" Tommy said as they walked to their next spot.

Mary changed from Matthew to Carlisle and Matthew joined Ophelia and Tommy. "How are you going?" Matthew asked. "Better than expected" Tommy said. "I have tried, Mary, I've done everything I can to please you" they heard Carlisle yell. "You mean you bought a large and rather vulgar house?" Mary shot back. "Don't talk to me like that! What have I done to deserve it? What?" Carlisle shot back. Ophelia looked at Matthew, and with her eyes she pleaded him to rescue Mary, because she doubted Carlisle would listen to her or Tommy.