chapter four

Spring 1913

It had been nearly a year since the Titanic sank, and everyone was finally out of mourning again, something Mary was glad for. Ophelia had shown Isobel to the hospital, and she found it fascinating work. "You should join me" Isobel had said when she saw how interested Ophelia seemed to be. "I couldn't. I don't think my father would like it very much" she had answered and left it at that.

Her life had been slightly changed when she turned 16, her grandmother had come over more now, saying how she'd have to prepare for possible suitors given she would turn 17 next year which would start her debutant era. She wasn't looking forward to it, but she remembered what Polly had said a while ago. How she would keep her fortune and find lasting love. Perhaps she meets someone that despite marrying for the status would love each other.

"Everything alright my dear?" her mother asked when she saw Ophelia looking at a painting. "Yes, I think I am. Just weird days I feel" Ophelia said. "Perhaps you should go riding, that always seems to cheer you up." Her mother said. "I think I might" Ophelia said and went to her room to change. Instead of wearing the appropriate riding clothes she simply wore an old dress and let her hair lose. Riding in riding clothes never felt right to her, nor did riding with a saddle.

She found her horse, a black beauty she called Cerberus, and rode all the way to the country where they rode in freedom before she returned. She saw Sybil who had just rode her horse as well, but Sybil looks more like a lady than Ophelia had. "Have you enjoyed yourself?" Sybil asked. "Yes, it was exactly what I needed" Ophelia said. They walked in when they saw Bates in the library. "Everything alright, Mr. Bates?" Ophelia asked when an unknown man stood in front of him. "He has asked to speak to his lordship" Mr. Bates said. "Why?' Ophelia asked and Sybil joined her. "I have urgent business with him" the man said. "Anna, find Carson we will stay here with Mr. Bates" Sybil said, and Anna ran outside to find him.

"What is going on here?" Lord Grantham said when he walked in the library not expecting anyone to be there. "My name is Charlie sir; I have information about someone who works for you" the man said. "And who might that be?" Lord Grantham asked. "Me, your lordship" Carson said as he walked in with Anna. "What is going on, Carson" Lord Grantham said. "You know this man" he asked. "I do, my lord." Carson said. "I, unfortunately, have a past I'd rather forget" Carson started. "Whatever could be so bad you won't speak on it" Lord Grantham asked.

"We were an act on the stage. The Cheerful Charlies, we were called" Charles said and showed an old newspaper snipped. "We should leave" Ophelia said, not wanted to embarrass Carson. "No, my lady, you have heard it now, there is nothing I can do." Carson said. Although he was thankful for her kindness. "And why is he here?" Lord Grantham said. "He said he would tell you the story, unless I gave him food and money, which I have done" Carson said. "She saw me" Carson said looking at Anna, who shook her head. "I wouldn't have said anything" Anna said. "I have stolen from the kitchen, so I will hand in my resignation" Carson said. "Nonsense" Lord Grantham said.

"We all have chapters in our book we would have rather not be there, Carson. But without those chapters our books couldn't develop into the people we are now" Ophelia said. "Thank you, your lordship. My lady" Carson said. "Ophelia is quite right, as for you. I will give you 20 pounds and that will be that. You'll never show your face here again" Lord Grantham said, handing him 20 pounds. The man nodded and left again. "I will not hear a word of this matter anymore, not from anyone in this room. And you, Carson, will continue your work here" Lord Grantham said, and everyone agreed. "Thank you, your lordship" Carson said before everyone left the room.

That evening Matthew and Cousin Isobel came for dinner again. Matthew, who had a job as industrial lawyer, hadn't quite yet adapted but then again, he wasn't working on it. "How is your job doing?" Ophelia asked, to be kind. "It's going great, thank you for asking" Matthew said. "What made you decide with industrial law?" she asked, while some listened and others had their own conversation. "I felt like that was the best direction, and I think it will proof useful when working in and around Downton" Matthew said. "I think it's ridiculous, none of us should work like we're common people" Mary said.