chapter eighteen

1919, half November

Ophelia and Tommy decided to travel to York together, Tommy had handled the Lizzie Stark situation and by the time they would return they would hold the wedding for John and the Lee girl. Tommy had made Grace invite Ada while he was away. Ophelia paid for first class tickets for them, not taking no for answer but Tommy said he would stay in a place in town to not bother her family.

It gave Ophelia a concern if he would even sleep, but he just said he'd be fine. When they arrived at the station, she saw a chauffeur from Downton. "Mr. Stark, good seeing you again" Ophelia said. "Good seeing you too, my lady" Stark said and held the door open for both of them. "You don't drive your own car?" Tommy asked getting in the back with her. "No, though Edith knows how to drive, she learned in the war and used it to help some farmers" Ophelia said as they drove to Downton. "I could teach you, if you want" Tommy said. "That would be great" she said before they arrived.

Lord and Lady Grantham stood outside, with Edith and Mary behind them and Carson ready to send Barrow to help out with the luggage. "Mama, Papa, you didn't need to do all this" Ophelia said as she got out of the car with Tommy's help. "Of course, we did, we wanted to welcome you both" Lady Grantham said. "Thank you for having me, my lady" Tommy said, taking off his cap. "It's our pleasure to have you, Mr. Shelby, our daughter speaks highly of you" Lady Grantham said. "You'll stay here, we hope" Lord Grantham said. "I was planning on staying in the village, my lord, wouldn't want to be a nuisance to you and your family" Tommy said. "Nonsense, a friend of Ophelia's is a friend of ours." Lady Grantham said.

"Carson, find a room for Mr. Shelby will you" Lord Grantham said. "Of course, my lord." Carson said. "Barrow will show you to your room" Lord Grantham said, and Tommy went with Carson and Barrow.

"He knows just exactly what to say" Lady Grantham said impressed. "I am quite impressed" Lord Grantham said, and they all went in. "I will go show him around the house, if that's alright" Ophelia said. "Of course, we will see you at dinner" Lady Grantham said, and Ophelia went upstairs. She found him in one of the guest rooms, luckily not the one Mr. Pamuk died in. "I wondered if I could give you a tour of Downton" Ophelia said before Barrow left again. "I would like that" Tommy said and held his arm out for her to take.

"Anything I need to know?" he asked as they walked down the stairs. "My grandmother, cousin Matthew, and Matthew's mother, Cousin Isobel, and Mary's fiancé will be coming, Sir Richard Carlisle" Ophelia said. "The one who runs the newspaper and is threatening, Mary" Tommy said to which Ophelia nodded. "Yes, and Matthew was the cousin you saved in France, so his mother is very grateful" Ophelia said before entering the library where Edith was. "This is the library and my father's study" Ophelia said. "I think this room is bigger than the betting shop and our place all together" Tommy said looking around.

"You live where you work?" Edith asked walking over. "I do, my lady. We live above the betting shop, my brothers and our aunt" Tommy said. "How fascinating, how many brothers?" Edith asked. "I have 3 brothers and a sister who already moved out" Tommy said. "Of course, Ada" Edith said. "And no need to call me my lady, we never had Ada do it either" Edith said. "With all respect, this is mostly to impress Lord Grantham" Tommy said. Edith smiled. "You may survive around here yet, Mr. Shelby" Edith said. "Tommy, please" he said. "Alright then" Edith said and left again.

They continued the tour while dinner was being prepared. "The gong to dress is going to be rung about an hour before dinner" Ophelia said. "Do we have time?" Tommy asked. "We do" she said, it was barely 4 pm and dinner wouldn't be until at least 8 pm. "Could I meet the servants?" Tommy asked. "Yes, Mrs. Patmore is probably preparing everything right now, but we could see" Ophelia said. "Do you know their names?" Tommy asked. "I do, don't ask my father though" Ophelia said, and they went to the servant's hall.