chapter nine

Ophelia soon after received a letter from Dr Clarkson, saying how Matthew, Freddie and Tommy were at Downton. She immediately asked for a transfer, and because she volunteered at the very beginning, she was allowed to go. She took Arthur and John with her; they had some days left anyways. When they arrived at Downton, it looked different. It was busier than she had seen in ages, with many wounded soldiers walking around, but most were walking on crouches or in a wheelchair.

"Gods, you live here?" John asked seeing the massive house. "Yes, I did" Ophelia said and walked in. There was no one to receive her, unlike normal where Carson or a footman was always ready. "I'm looking for Tommy Shelby" Ophelia asked a nurse, luckily still wearing her nurse outfit. "The drawing room" the nurse said, and she knew exactly where to go. She took the remaining Shelby brothers with her, and they went to the drawing room.

She saw Tommy and Freddie in their beds. Freddie asleep, but Tommy was awake, playing with the necklace. "Hello Sergeant Major" she said when she reached his bed. He looked up and nearly jumped in her arms. "You're alive" he said holding her close. His head buried in her neck; afraid she would disappear. "I am, but more importantly so are you" she said, hugging him back. "You gave us a fright Tom" Arthur said, hugging his brother after he finally let go of Ophelia.

"I will leave you for now" she said. "You won't go far, will you?" Tommy asked. Ophelia noticed coldness and desperation in his eyes. Whatever happened since the Somme, changed Tommy Shelby, but it didn't make Ophelia love him any less.

"I will be here, but I haven't seen my family in 4 years" Ophelia said. Tommy nodded before uniting with his brother who would go back to Birmingham later that day to inform Polly and Ada. She looked around and found Matthew, who was joined by Mary. "You've become quite the nurse yourself, sister" she said standing few meters away from Mary.

Mary looked up and nearly dropped everything. "Ophelia" she said, like she had been holding a deep breath and could finally breathe again. She rushed over to her sister and hugged her even tighter than Tommy had. "Hello, my dear sister" Ophelia said. "Oh, darling, how I've missed you" Mary said and smiled with tears in her eyes. "How is Matthew?" she asked. "Dr. Clarkson fears he may never walk again, but he's alive" Mary said. "That's good" Ophelia said. "If only we have hope, then he might walk again" Ophelia said.

"Do Mama, and Papa know you're back?" Mary asked. "No, you are the first I found" Ophelia said. "Dr. Clarkson informed me of Matthew, and Tommy, and I asked to be transferred here now that Downton has become what it is" Ophelia said. "Then we must find them" Mary said grabbing Ophelia's arm, afraid she would run off again.

They searched for a few minutes when they found Carson. "Lady Ophelia" he said in shock. "Carson, it's good to see you" she said. "Carson please find Lord and Lady Grantham" Mary asked. "Of course, my lady, immediately" Carson said. "I can't believe you're back" Mary said. "You better do" Ophelia smiled. "So, Tommy" Mary said. "That's what you want to speak of now?" Ophelia said. "He seemed quite cold?" Mary said. "Something happened, he wasn't like that before" Ophelia said. "You do realise, after everything is over, there is no version of this where you and he end up together" Mary said, wanting to bring Ophelia back to reality. "I know, God, I know" Ophelia said.

"But for the time being, I enjoy the little moments I have with him" Ophelia said. Mary nodded and the two were interrupted by their parents. "I didn't believe Carson" Lord Grantham said. "Oh, my darling, darling girl" her mother said and hugged her tight. "Are you back for good?" Lord Grantham asked while her mother was still hugging her. "I'm stationed at Downton for now. My unit served under Matthew, and the best replacement was Thomas Shelby, and both are here" she said. "We must thank the Sergeant Major, for saving our Matthew" her father said before hugging his daughter again.