epilogue

The room was dark, even though it was early in the morning, and the candles were still lit. They had been burning all night, because despite it being night-time, the owner of the room had not known sleep very well. The owner of the room being Ophelia Shelby, her mind had been occupied with the dooming thoughts of childbirth. Perhaps she would be cursed too, she thought, that would make sense.

"Tommy said you haven't slept" the voice of the wise Polly Gray rang through the room like an echo. "I haven't" Ophelia said. "it's not good for you, or your baby" Polly said and sat on the bed, looking at Ophelia on the chair as she was staring out of the window of Arrow House. She hated the new house; it didn't feel like home to her. She liked their first house better, but when she itched closer to her due date, Tommy had moved them to an even bigger house.

"What has been on your mind?" Polly asked. "Will I die after I give birth to my child?" she asked. Polly held out her hand and Ophelia placed her hand in Polly's. She fell quiet when she saw Ophelia's hand. "You will die, but it won't be during childbirth" Polly said. "Why the face?" Ophelia asked. "You will die, sacrificing yourself for Tommy" Polly said.

...