chapter twelve

1919

Everything had gone past faster than Ophelia liked. 1919 was a new start and she knew she had to do it. She would wait as long as she could for Tommy, but she also knew her parents would let her wait forever. She wondered what her life would be like if she had been able to be with Tommy.

She had been thinking about throwing her life around, and it was then she noticed Sybil acting up. She would sneak out more and go into Ripon a lot more with Branson. Ophelia walked to her sister, smiling brightly. "I heard you'd go into Ripon today, wondered if I can join. I'm visiting the black smith because I'm planning on finding new shoes for Cerberus" Ophelia said. "Oh, I mean yes, of course" Sybil said, and Ophelia smiled. "Thank you" she said and got ready.

When they went into Ripon there was a lot more awkwardness than expected, and Ophelia realised why. After their day, she sat in the car with Sybil with Branson driving. "So, how long have you two been in love" Ophelia asked, with the straightest face she could muster. "What?" Sybil asked faking confusion. "Don't. If anyone knows, it's me" Ophelia said and smiled at her sister. "Go for it. Don't let the world from before the war make you unhappy" Ophelia said. "Thank you" Sybil said.

After dinner she could see Sybil was nervous. Everyone had been planning for first Matthew and Lavinia's wedding which would be held day after tomorrow, and Mary's wedding to Sir Carlisle a week after. The door opened and Branson walked in, which caused Carson and Molesly, who had become a footman, look in confusion. "Is someone's car ready?" Lord Grantham said. "I'm here" Branson said, ignoring Lord Grantham.

"We can see that" Lord Grantham said. Ophelia looked from Branson to her sister. "Go for it" she said again to Sybil, who walked over to Tom. "Papa, we have been wanting to tell you. I want to marry Tom" Sybil said. "Who's Tom?" Lady Grantham asked. "The chauffeur" Mary told her grandmother. "Are you out of your mind" Lord Grantham said. "Papa, please listen to them" Ophelia said. "You knew?" he asked her. "I only knew today, and I think it's lovely. Sybil should be with someone she loves" Ophelia said. "I want him out of my sight right now" Lord Grantham said. "Robert!" Lady Grantham said, looking at her husband. "Papa, please" Sybil said. "I'll go" Branson said, and Sybil ran upstairs.

"Why can't she be happy?" Ophelia yelled, and Mary could tell this was not for just Sybil. "The chauffeur?! Are you serious?" Lord Grantham yelled at his youngest daughter. "We get nothing! Mary, Edith, Sybil, myself! We get nothing, everything goes to Matthew, Mary right now is fortunate enough to have found Sir Carlisle, and Sybil found love and her happiness in Branson, why can't you be happy for your daughter" Ophelia said before running after Sybil.

Neither of them said anything and just slept in Sybils bed. In the morning Sybil and Lord Grantham ignored each other. Ophelia didn't speak much either but then again, she was very tired. "A letter for you, my lady" Carson said and gave it to Ophelia. "Thank you, Carson" Ophelia said.

"Dear Ophelia,

We haven't spoken much since the war ended; I hope we can see each other soon. I don't know what has happened to my brothers, but they seem different. Arthur has been struggling with the Flemish blues, and John has headaches more often than not. Perhaps it's because of the children running around his feet. And Tommy, Tommy came back last, and he has been so cold, he fixed a race and got in deep with the wrong people. Elia, I don't want to lose my brothers.

Love, Ada"

Ophelia read the letter and her heart ached when she read about Tommy, and his brothers. "At dinner tonight, Lavinia and Cousin Isobel will join for the wedding tomorrow. We have all the decorations up already" Lord Grantham said. "It already looks beautiful" Edith said. "I love weddings, especially after everything we went through" Edith said. "It's a nice chance of scenery." Ophelia said before leaving to her room. She would write Ada back later, she had much to do for the wedding tomorrow.