Part Nineteen: Square One

Stiles's POV:

"Get your ass down here now. We have a job to do," I said to Scott through the phone, lurking with a flashlight in the college's locker room. It was ten minutes after midnight, officially Mischief Night, which means that today is the official day to prank Coach Finstock's, which marks also his birthday.

I thought about skipping this tradition this year since me and Scott are having fatal issues that might change our lives forever, but when I found myself lying in the bed, wide-eyed, afraid to sleep so I won't get stuck in my nightmares, I decided that we need to prank Coach Finstock and forget for at least a few minutes, that we have issues bigger than us.

"Dude, I'm already in bed," Scott replied in a sleepy voice, "And aren't we getting a little old for this?" Well, he had a point; we used to do this when Coach was actually our teacher in high school, not a Coach for the college Lacrosse team and a Professor of 'Principles of Sports Coaching', and when we were actually high school students, but now since we grew up and we became college boys, we definitely should grow up and stop being so childish. 

I couldn't think of a better reply to my friend's accurate defense other than, "We do this for Coach,"

"I thought we did this to Coach,"

"Whatever, okay?" I rolled my eyes because he was just being right and I hate it when he is right, "You know he needs this. He lives for this stuff. He loves it,"

"But it's the middle of the night,"

"12:13 actually. Which means it's after midnight and officially Mischief Night so if you are not down here in five seconds, I will destroy you. Okay?" I threatened my Alpha friend, "And I mean five, four, three, two -"before I finish my countdown, I felt someone standing behind me so I turned my face, only to be faced with 2 red eyes glowing at me.

"One," Scott finished my countdown with an evil grin as I fell to the ground out of fear. 

"I hate you," after my breath calmed and Scott's laughter ended, we started working on my evil plan for, or to, Coach this year.

Once we finished setting up everything, we drove back to our homes. I was exhausted by the time I arrived so I went straight to bed and prayed to fall asleep the soonest and without any nightmares.

Gladly, there were no nightmares, not because I had nice dreams, but because I couldn't sleep at all. I was too scared to fall asleep and too tired to stay awake. Every time I felt my eyes closing, I tended to open them and glance around me, hoping that everything is real as it seems.

Before I know it, the sun rose and the voice of our coffee machine started and soon after, the smell of coffee filled my room, meaning that a new day has started and my father is up. A few seconds later, the door of my room received 2 gentle knocks before it was opened.

"Are you up?" I don't why my father had to ask although he saw my eyes open, and I don't know why I answered with a "Yes," instead of giving him a sarcastic comment, as I always do, "C'mon, up to college, young man,"

"Like I have another choice," I sighed, sitting up in my bed.

"Glad you had this figured," my father smiled at me for a brief moment before he went all serious, "Listen, I don't want you to go to Memorial hospital today, and please try to keep Scott away from it too,"

I frowned, knowing that this warning is mostly associated with a piece of interesting and scary news. Before I open my mouth and ask why, which he knows I will, he started explaining what happened, "Yesterday's night, William Barrow needed to have surgery and got transferred into Memorial hospital after every other hospital refused to take him, claiming they are over capacity and can't handle another surgery,"