2. Auditions ♔

***************
| King of Hearts |
***************
By: Janae Destiny

*
*
*

"Where you going anyway?" Marco stood in the doorway of the bathroom and watched Monie as she did her makeup in the mirror after they'd come back to the room and gotten showered and ready for the day.

"A job interview."

"Doing what?"

"The same thing I was doing back in Chicago," she replied.

"You know I'm not stupid, right?" Marco crossed his arms over his chest. "I know you never worked at no got damn 24-hour diner."

"Cuss again and I'ma pop you in the mouth," Monie warned him.

"You're still avoiding the question. Cause ain't no waitress coming home with that much in tips."

"Marco, just mind your business, okay? You don't needa worry about how I get my money."

"Fine," he shrugged. "But I wanna know one thing though."

"What?" She looked up from the concealer she was blending under her eyes.

"When is it take your brother to work day-"

"Get out!" Monie forcefully pushed the boy out of the bathroom, closing and locking the door behind him.

She finished getting ready in the bathroom and went back into the main room to pack a bag with anything she thought she might need.

"You look pretty mommy," Ava looked over at her.

Monique was wearing a simple pair of denim jeans, a t-shirt, and a pair of Nike Off-White Dunks, but as long as she has her hair and makeup done, her daughter thinks she's the prettiest woman to ever walk the earth.

"Thank you, baby," she said as she put a pair of gold hoop earrings in. "And you always look pretty."

"So we just supposed to sit in the room all day until you get back?" Marco asked just moments before Monie was about to leave.

"Y'all can go explore the hotel or something, I don't know. Go to the pool, go look at the garden, I don't care, just don't leave the hotel. Okay?"

"Fine."

"I love you," she gave Marco a quick kiss on the top of his head because he's only shorter than her when he's sitting down, and he was currently sitting on the bed next to Ava watching TV.

"Love you too Monie," he pushed her off of him. Marco has never been very affectionate, but that doesn't stop his older sister from showing him just how much she loves him every single day.

"And I love you, cutie," she kissed her daughter on the cheek.

"I love you too mommy."

"You gonna be good for Marco today?"

Ava just gave her a very mischievous smile.

"I can't with y'all. Marco," she pointed at him on her way to the door.

"Yeah, sis?"

"Keep my daughter safe until I get back."

"And when will you be back exactly?"

"I should be back soon. But I don't know if they'll want me to come in later if I get the position. I'll pick y'all up some food on my way back, so what you want?"

"I wanna go out," Marco answered.

"Yeah, me too. I wanna go out mommy," Ava agreed with him.

"Fine. Look up some places and find somewhere we can eat later. But my Uber is outside, so I'm leaving now. I'll see y'all later."