9. Oh Brother ♔︎

***************
| King of Hearts |
***************
By: Janae Destiny

*
*
*

"You actually came," Luna said to Kiara when she answered the door for her.

"I wasn't going to," Kiara admitted as she walked into the house. "I was really about to stay my ass at home."

"Honestly? You should have," Luna mumbled under her breath as she locked the front door back.

"What's that mean? They not on some shit, are they?"

"Nah. Can't be, cause daddy ain't even here."

"So where is he?"

Luna just shrugged in response to Kiara's question because she had absolutely no idea, and she wasn't sure Chloe, their mother, knew either.

"Wassup mama," Kiara found her cooking in the kitchen and greeted her with a kiss on the cheek.

"Good evening baby girl," Chloe gave her a quick hug before going back to the carrots she was chopping to add to the oxtail she already had simmering on the stove.

"It smells good as hell in here. You cooking like you tryna apologize for sumn."

"Kiara," her mother let out a very stifled laugh. "You're always so funny."

"Mmhm. So anyway, why'd you tell us to look nice just to come over here and eat dinner? What was that about?"

"Because we were supposed to be going out instead of me just cooking."

"But?"

"But your father never confirmed the reservation because... because we're sort of not speaking at the moment," she admitted.

"Why not? And where even is he? Cause Luna said he's not here."

"I truly don't know where he is. I haven't seen him in like two days."

"And the why part?" Kiara insisted.

"Because we got into a huge fight. And I'll just leave it at that since he's not here to talk about it."

"Didn't know y'all fight."

"Because we don't. We haven't fought like that in years."

Kiara wanted to ask more about it, but she decided to just leave it alone. She figured her parents are already going through enough in their relationship without her bombarding them with questions about it.

So instead, she just leaned against the counter as she texted her father, basically telling him that she hopes he's okay and that she wants to talk to him when he gets the chance.

"Kiara!" She heard her name being yelled the second she sent her text message.

"What Luna?"

"Come hereee!" She answered back in a super high-pitched voice.

Kiara made her way to the living room where Luna was sitting on the couch with her phone in her hands, squealing at the screen like a little school girl.

"Thought you wasn't talking to me," Kiara said as she sat down beside her sister.

"Bitch, that happened how long ago?" She was referencing the little back and forth they did at Kiara's house. It only happened a little over an hour ago, but she was already over it. "I been moved past that already."

"So you're not gonna apologize?"

"For what exactly?" Luna furrowed her eyebrows.

"For calling me a bitter, pessimistic ass bitch?"