12. Diamond Spoon ♔︎

***************
| King of Hearts |
***************
By: Janae Destiny

*
*
*

The Next Morning

Kiara woke up early the next morning, but only because she's so used to being alone in her own house, so the noise from the Heart's getting up and starting their day at 8am was very out of the norm for her. They weren't really loud, but their voices and them shuffling around was still enough to wake her.

"Good morning," Monie walked back into the room to notice Kiara was now awake, and she was wearing nothing but a silk robe tied tightly around her freshly showered body.

"Morning," Kiara grumbled.

She didn't really want to be awake, but she also couldn't go back to sleep either.

"Sorry if we woke you up."

"Nah, it's fine," Kiara sat up in the bed and rubbed the sleep from her eyes. "You got a toothbrush I could use?"

"Yeah. There's a brand new one still in the package sitting out on the counter. I got toothpaste and face wash and all that stuff in there too."

"Thank you. I'ma be right back."

"Mmhm," Monie hummed a response. She then left the room to make sure Ava properly brushed and washed her face, put clothes on (that actually went together), and combed the little girl's hair before returning back to her own bedroom.

When Kiara walked out of the bathroom, Monie was standing across the room, naked, with her back facing Kiara as she slid on a pair of panties and put a bra on. And Monie didn't care about being naked in front of Kiara, because it's not like she hasn't already seen 98% of her body already.

And Kira couldn't care less about Monie being naked in front of her so instead of watching her get dressed, she went over to her purse for her glasses. She'd taken her contacts out some time in the middle of the night and didn't have any eye solution to put them back in. And when she put the glasses on, Monie questioned why she hated them so much because she thought they framed her face pretty nicely.

"You wake up early as hell," Kiara went and sat down on the edge of the bed.

"I have kids," Monie said as she pulled on a pair of Nike biker shorts followed by a matching Nike t-shirt. "I don't really have a choice. Some nights I don't even sleep at all."

"That's not healthy you know. You're gonna eventually burn out doing that."

"Trust me, King. I'm well used to being tired."

"Just cause you're used to it, doesn't make it normal. You deserve to relax too."

"Yeah? And when I'ma to do that exactly?" And Monie was genuinely asking. She would love to be able to relax and take a few days off from all of her responsibilities, but it's not possible with trying to juggle life, a little girl, and a teenage boy.

"It's admirable that you're young and doing all this on your own, but you need help Monique. You shouldn't have to be doing all this by yourself- no one should."

"And who exactly gone help me? I didn't grow up with a diamond spoon in my mouth. You see me with a couple of rich ass parents who gone hold my hand through life? No... it's just me. It's been just me for a very long time, and I wouldn't expect somebody like you to understand what that's like."

"Oh wow...," Kiara muttered because that was very obviously a direct shot at her.

"I'm sorry," Monie sighed. "I ain't mean to say that. I ain't mean it like that."