fighting back

That night, my mind was racing. Every sound made me jump a little which was inconvenient considering the house was old as rocks and a floorboard would sound through the entire school from nothing but a mere draft. I swear I heard footsteps, making me jolt in fear once again and this time, Cordelia noticed and held me tighter, lightly scratching my hair and shushing me.

"Sweetheart, relax," she whispered with a soft voice. "You're safe. Don't worry."

"I- I know," I lied, holding onto her tightly. She kisses the crown of my head and rests her cheek on my head, moving her gentle fingers down my back under my shirt and grazing my skin. It reminded me of the time Diane had come into my room to comfort me, and scratching my back. And of course thinking of Diane made me think of my last night at Dr. Staple's, making my heart race even faster.

It was the first time I had flashbacks to that night.

Diane's hand over my mouth, her legs pinning me down, her holding my stuffed animal in her arms, and then her threatening to tell Dr. Staple that I was purging and about my nightly ritual of excessive sit-ups.

Not to mention what happened with Fiona not even an hour ago.

My breathing started to get fast and tears started spilling from my eyes.

"y/n?" Cordelia whispered as she heard my heavy breathing and I'm sure my heartbeat was audible. I just shut my eyes and shook my head, blocking my ears as Cordelia retracted her hand from my back and sat up. "y/n sweetheart, hey hey it's okay what's wrong?"

"No no no please don't touch me, please," I whispered, curling up into a ball and letting out small quiet cries.

"Baby I'm not going to touch you. It's okay."

"NO! GET OUT OF MY ROOM!"

Cordelia soon knew exactly what was going on.

"y/n listen to me. It's me. It's Cordelia. You're in my room at home. You're safe y/n okay?" I slowly opened my eyes, releasing the muscles that I had so tensed up. My breathing remained heavy as I pulled my legs down from my chest and sat up to hug Cordelia. She softly rubbed my back and shushed me. "You're okay. You're okay," she whispered.

"I'm scared, Delia."

"Scared of what baby? Tell me," she asks, cupping my cheeks after pulling away from the hug.

"D-Diane. And Fiona." Cordelia just pulled me back into her arms, shushing me.

"Sweetheart, Diane can't get to you but- why Fiona, baby?"

I just shook my head and pushed her away.

"I TOLD YOU DELIA SHE- she dragged me out of bed and- and told me she was bringing me to the mental hospital. Earlier- on the couch- she said if I didn't stay away from you then I was over. I'd be sent away forever. And I'd never see you again."

"y/n, listen to me. Fiona doesn't care about anyone but herself. She won't hurt you. I won't let her," Cordelia said angrily, throwing the covers off her self and getting up, storming to the door. I quickly got up and followed her.

"Cordelia wait!"

"I'm sorry I didn't believe you before. But I am sick of this shit," she mumbled, heavily making her way to Fiona's bedroom.

"No Cordelia what if she hurts you!"

Cordelia turns around and grabs my shoulders, looking at me deeply in the eyes.

"Listen to me. I don't care. I love you y/n and Fiona can't do shit about it alright?!" I just nodded with fear in my eyes. She nods back and busts open Fiona's door to see her standing in front of the mirror wearing her long black nightgown and a cigarette in hand.

"YOU."

Cordelia storms up to Fiona and slaps her hard across the face, making me gasp as I just watched at the door. Fiona looks to me, holding her palm to her now red cheek with narrow eyes.

"You little bitch," she hissed until Cordelia steps in front of her, blocking her view of me and my trembling body.

"No. You don't get to drag her into this. You don't get to drag her into your pathetic excuse to constantly patronize me and get me to be the daughter you've always wanted. What even is that by the way Fiona? Because I've tried to please you and be exactly that my entire life but that's got me no where. Hasn't it?"

Fiona just chuckles and takes a drag of her stupid cigarette, making eye contact with her.

"You know Delia, in all that time you've so called "tried", I've come to terms with the fact that my biggest mistake with you is that you never realized the extent to your power. And that is exactly why you ended up with a pathetic child like that one. What you don't realize is that she makes you soft. And weak."

"Oh is that why you could never keep a man or husband? Because love makes you weak?" Cordelia asks with a mocking smile.

Fiona then holds Cordelia by her throat with her magic, making Cordelia gasp. My eyes went wide and I pushed Fiona.

"FIONA STOP"

She just used her other hand just to send me flying across the room, against the wall and falling to the hard wood with a loud thud. I pick my head up to see Cordelia looking at me with fear in her eyes.

"Let her go," I whispered, trying to pick my self up, huffing for air. Cordelia's eyes started to roll back and Fiona was completely entranced by her daughter's current state that she didn't see me lift of the ground. "I SAID LET HER GO," I screamed, holding up both of my hands and sending Fiona flying across the room, into the glass door that lead out to the balcony. I stood for a moment, staring at her limp body just outside the door surrounded by broken glass.

That was until I hear Cordelia gasping for air. I run to her hunched body on the ground as she coughs, desperately trying to get air into her lungs.

"Cordelia. I'm so sorry. Are you okay?" I cried. She just sat up and desperately clawed onto my sweater, pulling me into a hug. I closed my eyes letting a couple tears fall onto her shoulder. She then pulls back and cups my cheeks.

"I'm okay baby. That was very brave of you."

"Well she- she was choking you- you almost died Delia. ...My powers haven't worked like that in a long time."

"Well... your powers spike when you see or are in danger. Honey your nose is bleeding."

I lift my finger to my lip and pull it back to see the crimson that coated my fingertip.

"I'm fine Delia. I'm sorry. We- we shouldn't have done that tonight."

"For the last time y/n, I don't care what Fiona thinks."

"Well that clearly doesn't matter. She almost killed you-"

Cordelia just cut me off with a kiss until she pulled away and looked me deeply in the eyes.

"I don't care."

I just pulled her into a hug and sniffled over her shoulder.

"I love you Cordelia."

"I love you too baby girl."

"Do you think she's okay?" I asked, glancing over at Fiona's still body.

"I'm sure she'll be fine. She's the supreme after all."