Chapter 13 - The princess (1)

Esperanza fisted her fist as she watched the princess being taken away to be treated. She turned back and gave the burning Villa one last glance. There was no mistaking it. The oddly familiar memories, color, and beauty could bewitch everybody's soul. Indeed, the fire was the purest form and the most ancient too. Nobody could have guessed it still existed, or, that the legends were true.

But this wasn't supposed to happen now.

The thought kept ringing in her head. The whole fire incident was supposed to happen seven months later. 

Is it because this world has life?

Esperanza sneered. This was simply a warning, that things may not go her way. It seems that instead of trusting the original body owner's memory, she has to learn to trust her tactics. But that had always been the most difficult part.

Bright sunlight hit the princess when she opened her ruby eyes and squinted them. She tried to sit up, but was startled and slid back to her bed when she heard a clear voice.

"It's too bright, isn't it?" Esperanza Ilamas Distruzione, the young lady of the Ilamas duchy said and drew the curtains, blocking the sunlight. "So, what is your answer?"

The princess was confused at first. What answer? She wondered. Slowly, what previously happened came back to her. With hesitation, she looked up at Esperanza's eyes, dazzling blue eyes. Could she trust them? Maybe, who knows. But... if she took the deal into proper consideration, it could be her last chance. 

"I.... accept." She said through gritted teeth. A demon, who has to depend on a human for survival, how could she not bear feelings of resentment. But, the person to whom her hatred was directed wasn't the human, but herself. She hated the fact that she couldn't stand on her two own legs. What was the use of all her skills then?

"I accept." She repeated as she inhaled a deep breath, and her eyes widened when she noticed how beautiful the scent was. She turned to look and found a bunch of flowers placed in a vase. Bloomed ones, not the withered ones.

Ah.... how long has it been since I could smell them?

"I guess you're pretty sensible." Esperanza stood up and took a few steps forward, causing the princess to shrink back, with her heart strangely thumping fast and an odd feeling of nervousness. Suddenly, the princess felt a sharp pain in her fingers. When she looked down, she saw black blood oozing down from them. Demons always had their blood black. This proved their race. To honor themselves, they called their blood Zyrine, a name given after the first mage who made them. The fleeting feeling vanished at the sight of Zyrine dripping from her hand, and she felt rage. Their blood was too precious to lose, a single drop too powerful compared to mortal's blood.

"What are you doing?" The princess snatched her hand back and glared up at Esperanza.

"Collecting blood," Esperanza responded and turned as she walked a few steps away and knelt on the floor. She thrust a silver dagger, which was embedded with sapphires, into her arm. The princess didn't feel an ounce of pity as the fresh, red blood dripped from the young lady's arm and fell into a vial. Esperanza shook the vial for barely a second and then opened its cap, keeping it upside-down, allowing the red-black blood to fall on the floor.

The floor glowed a radiant golden light in different patterns, and it took a minute for the princess to realize that it was a magic circle drawn on the floor.

She looked down at her arm, which now had a peony symbol drawn on it. She looked at Esperanza's arm to confirm her assumption but unfortunately failed to do so since Esperanza's arms were covered.

"You...." She could feel herself trembling with anger. "What the heck did you do?"

"Simple, I just made a contract," Esperanza responded as she stared at the shaking princess. She had already expected this reaction. "A contract between you and me. I'm sure you're aware of what steps are taken. Mix your Zyrine with my blood, then add it to a magic circle. That's what I did, just now. You're lucky that you're a demon. Your so-called blood is so precious that only one drop is enough. But my mortal blood is required to be higher in amount."

"Why a contract?" The princess asked. "I never allowed for it."

"Because you accepted the deal," Esperanza smirked. "Who knows when you betray me? I can't have a, ah, dog biting its own master. That'll hurt, you know. So, I just made a contract. You're under my control, and if you ever try harming the deal, you'll face the consequences yourself. And if I ever change my mind and try doing something unacceptable to you, I'll face the consequences myself. A fair deal, indeed."

"You don't believe me?" The princess asked as she gripped the blankets. "I keep my words. Do you believe me?" It was a question out of the blue, but she couldn't help but ask. Esperanza looked at her for a second and said,

"No, I don't." She stated coldly. "Now, get well soon, dear princess. I'll be taking my leave."

And she left the room. The princess stared blankly at the door, although Esperanza had already left. She bit her lower lip with frustration.

Why did the cold tone sting me more than that stab I once received? So infuriating, so annoying.